Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

anisevance
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled automated imports into Power BI Desktop

Hi all,

At my organization, we use import mode to pull a number of datasets into Power BI Desktop, where we apply some complex data transformations and modeling. This works very well for us and the downsides of using DirectQuery (performance issues and limitations in transformation and modeling are too severe for us to switch -- I desperately do not want this to turn into an import v directquery debate) are too much for us to switch.

Given this, I am wondering if anyone has discovered any ways to automate the data import into Power BI Desktop. Ideally, this is something we would happen once a day at 2 or 3 am. From what I can gather, this is not a built-in capability of Power BI Desktop. Is that accurate? And, if it is accurate, has anyone found any creative solutions?

Thanks,

Anise

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@anisevance , You publish the file and schedule refresh on the Power Bi service, that is the way to use it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.