Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scenario analysis for portfolio management

I am working on tactical capacity planning dashboard using Power BI. I have various datasets with available team capacity by date (month based), work in execution and work expected. Obviously we have more work than capacity. So I am looking for an option to create a table on the canvas with the work expected and a column representing the date offset. The user should be able to select one or more work items and be able to add a integer per row to offset the start/enddate of the work. That would help me to process various scenarios to resolve future resource conflicts. Is this possible?

4 REPLIES 4
kwoolford

Hi Ritchie,

I'm going down the same path and just begun this journey. Would like to hear how you are coming along. I want to use Power BI for my agency's annual work program.

Thanks,

Kurt

Anonymous
Not applicable

The solution that seems to work (but only on desktop) is to use a different excel with the project offsets.

In PowerBI I use the offset to calculate a new start and end date. If I want another offset for example for project 2, I change the offset in the project offsets excel (!), save it and then perform an update within PowerBI.

I don't have a full blown dashboard yet. Still fiddling around with it.

Thanks for the quick response. Would you be open to a virtual meeting with me? We can keep it brief. I'd like to see what you have so far, as all I have is an excel file that I started. I can show you what I am thinking about doing and plan on figuring out Power BI over the next few weeks. I'm near Chicago USA (central time zone). Thanks again!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , to me, seems like you need a text box in each row on the table. I doubt that is possible. You can have a few with help from what if

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-what-if

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.