Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mfikram
Frequent Visitor

Same PBI Desktop version (2.78), different machines, different errors

Hi

I have the following M-Code for a query

let
Source = src_TableFromSSASTabularModel,
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"EntryID", "EmployeeName"}),
#"Expanded EmployeeName" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "EmployeeName", {"UserName"}, {"UserName"}),
#"Lowercased Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Expanded EmployeeName",{{"UserName", Text.Lower, type text}}),
Person = Table.SelectColumns(tran_PrimaryPerson,{"PersonKey","LoginId"}),
Join = Table.Join(#"Lowercased Text","UserName",Person,"LoginId",JoinKind.Inner),
KeepCols = Table.SelectColumns(Join,{"EntryID","PersonKey"}),
Rename = Table.RenameColumns(KeepCols,{{"EntryID","SLIAID.Temp"},{"PersonKey","SubmissionPersonKey"}})
in
Rename

I get the following error at the join step 

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value "[Record]" to type Record.
Details:
    Value=[Record]
    Type=[Type]

Now the catch is my peers (who have the same version of PBi Desktop 2.78.5740.841 ) do not get the error on the join step.

Before I go on to redo the query...I would like to to know if there is a solution 'outside' the scope of the query itself  (Power Query setting/reinstalling the software)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

F

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@mfikram ,

Are you and your peer connecting to the data source using the same connector? Please check if there's any unprintable character in your data source.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mfikram I never saw this, on the second step do you see employee column as a record ?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Yes it is

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.