Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sales evolution through time

Hello

I am trying something that should be very easy but I can't figure it out.

I have the data like this:

DateBuyerProductValue
12/12/2018JonApple20
13/12/2018AnthonyPear0
01/01/2019SarahPear30
03/01/2019SarahPear50
02/02/2019JonApple10
03/02/2019JonApple15

And I am just trying to show an evolution on the sales trought weeks or months. However, it shows me first grouped by year. Then I see the date hyerarchy that is by Year, Month, Week and Day. I just want the evolution month by month through the different years, but I can't separate them.

I also wanted to have the bar chart with both years side by side but I can't make it work. I thought of created a column with the year to use it as a category, but it should be an easier way.

Any help?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the end I created a new meassure that is Year-Month, and then sorted alphabetically. I don't like it, but for now it does the job.

imagen.png

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

At the end I solved it with a date table with the information about the months, quarters, financial years, etc.

It's not ideal and tableau does it automatically, but it solved the issue! Using a date table is extremely useful.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the end I solved it with a date table with the information about the months, quarters, financial years, etc.

It's not ideal and tableau does it automatically, but it solved the issue! Using a date table is extremely useful.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario.

You can create two column as follows.

Month-Year = FORMAT('Table'[Date],"YYYY-MM")

WeekOfYear = FORMAT('Table'[Date],"YYYY - \WeekWW")

b1.png

Then you can create three ‘clustered bar chart’ visuals and a  ‘matrix’ visual as below. Finally, you may see evolution on the sales by weeks or months with the slicer.

bb.png

If I misunderstand your thought, please show me your expected output. I am glad to solve the problem for you. Here is my pbix 

Best Regards,

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes something like this is what I want, but there is no other way through the normal visualizations? In Tableau you can group them in weeks, months, etc, so you can easily see the evolution.

I need something like the below, but I can't seem to be able to obtain a chart like the below.

imagen.png

@Anonymous I was able to create this with a line chart, with Date on the Axis, Product as the Legend, and Value as Values.

I believe this is what you're looking for?

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, even combined would have been nice. Did you use any particular calculated fields or just with the normal visualization options? How did you achieve it?

Thanks

Standard line chart visualization with Date on the axis, Product as the legend, and Value as values.

For a combined view, I created the below measure and then put Date on the axis, Combined in the values, and removed Product from the legend.

Combined = SUM(Sheet1[Value])

Capture2.JPG

If that answers your question, can you please mark it as the solution?
Anonymous
Not applicable

And this is what I get from my data, I get the months, but they are combined of 2017 and 2018. I would like to see January to December 2017 and then January to December 2018:

Anonymous
Not applicable

imagen.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

At the end I created a new meassure that is Year-Month, and then sorted alphabetically. I don't like it, but for now it does the job.

imagen.png

bchager6
Super User
Super User

Would this visualization fit your need?

Capture.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.