Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ksilvers

SURFACE PRO X - POWER BI 32 BIT AND 64 BIT CRASH

I have the new surface pro x and I've had multiple issues with POWERBI Desktop crashing when trying to import JSON file. I've uninstalled/reinstalled both 32-64 bit versions. This processor is an ARM processor and it certainly has given me tons of issues since getting it. Can someone please tell me what I could try doing? I've also reset my windows defender platform as well and still having issues. 

C:\"Program Files"\"Windows Defender"\MpCmdRun.exe –resetplatform

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

The Surface Pro X cannot run Win64 apps at this time. It can only emulate a 32bit environment for Win32 apps. There may be some 64 bit improvements coming, but I've heard rumors confirming and denying. That limit may be why you see crashes. I used to get them all of the time a few years ago on both Power BI and Excel when I had the 32bit apps installed. Upgraded to 64bit and my DAX models no longer caused issues.

Honestly, if you just got it, consider returning it. Using Power BI Desktop indicates you are a bit of a power user, and really need the 64 bit version as the 32 bit version will just crash more often if it runs out of RAM. 32bit can generally only address 2GB of memory (though there are some workarounds devs can do to give it 4GB), whereas 64bit apps can exabytes of data.

I don't think the ARM devices are ready for prime time for people using Power Bi desktop to develop reports. You'd be better off with a Surface Pro 7 or a Surface Laptop 3 if that is what you want the machine for.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Filochard

Hi

The Windows API function GetCurrentThreadID destroys the ecx (32-bit) and rcx (64-bit) register on a Surface X and Windows 11 and ARM processor. Usually ecx is kept. Here is the replacement procedure:

function GetCurrentThreadId: TThreadID;
asm
{$IFDEF CPUX86}
mov eax, fs:[$18]   { eax := thread information block }
mov eax, [eax + $24]  { eax := thread id }
{$ENDIF}
{$IFDEF CPUX64}
mov rax, gs:[abs $30]
mov eax, [rax + $48]
{$ENDIF}
end;
edhans
Super User
Super User

The Surface Pro X cannot run Win64 apps at this time. It can only emulate a 32bit environment for Win32 apps. There may be some 64 bit improvements coming, but I've heard rumors confirming and denying. That limit may be why you see crashes. I used to get them all of the time a few years ago on both Power BI and Excel when I had the 32bit apps installed. Upgraded to 64bit and my DAX models no longer caused issues.

Honestly, if you just got it, consider returning it. Using Power BI Desktop indicates you are a bit of a power user, and really need the 64 bit version as the 32 bit version will just crash more often if it runs out of RAM. 32bit can generally only address 2GB of memory (though there are some workarounds devs can do to give it 4GB), whereas 64bit apps can exabytes of data.

I don't think the ARM devices are ready for prime time for people using Power Bi desktop to develop reports. You'd be better off with a Surface Pro 7 or a Surface Laptop 3 if that is what you want the machine for.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Stueyboy

I installed the 32 bit version of power BI desktop on my SPX today. It doesn't run great but it does work. First time I tried to open a power bi file it crashed. I modified the compatibility settings for the power bi .exe to 'strict' emulation settings and it is now running more stably but still slowly. It is my understanding that the 64 bit version won't run at all on ARM64.

I have the same issue, I bought the SPX this week and I can't install the 64bit version. I did not see the thecnical specs about the ARM64 processor: 

"At this time, Surface Pro X will not install 64-bit applications that have not been ported to ARM64, some games and CAD software, and some third-party drivers or anti-virus software. New 64-bit apps are coming to ARM 64 all the time."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-pro-x/8vdnrp2m6hhc?activetab=techspecs

The thing is , I can't use the 32bit version either , very slow and crash all the time... 

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ksilvers ,

Based on my test, I cannot reproduce your issue here using Power BI desktop version : 2.76.5678.541 64-bit (December 2019). Could you please share the screen shot of your error message to me? 

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.