Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DC_ZA

SELECTEDVALUE returns blank in column but is populated when added to card

I have a table in PowerBI with a monthstring column (YYYYMM), I use this in a filter so the datatype is set as 'text', I created a measure using SELECTEDVALUE to return the monthstring that is selected in the filter. When I add this measure in a card, it returns the correct value and also changes as I change the selection.

X_SelectedMonthstring = SELECTEDVALUE(Dim_FilterMonthString[Monthstring])

The problem comes in when I want to use this measure in another column, say for instance to add a column with a flag (1 or 0) to indicate the selected monthstring in a table, it is only returning 1 for all fields.

Measure: X_SelectedMonthstring = SELECTEDVALUE(Dim_FilterMonthString[Monthstring])

Column: X_MonthString_Flag = IF(Dim_FilterMonthString[MonthString]=[X_SelectedMonthstring],1,0)
Column: X_TestString = SELECTEDVALUE(Dim_FilterMonthString[MonthString])

card.JPGtable.JPG

If I change the column formula to be a fixed value I get the desired results:
Column: X_MonthString_Flag = IF(Dim_FilterMonthString[MonthString]="202106",1,0)table2.JPG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@DC_ZA 

i don't think the slicer can affect a calculated column. You need to have a measure solution

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@DC_ZA 

i don't think the slicer can affect a calculated column. You need to have a measure solution

@ryan_mayu Thank you, I skipped using the flag column all together and used my measure directly in my second measure and it worked. 

you are welcome

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.