Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dwightman2176
Frequent Visitor

Return MAX value into column

Hi. If anyone could help with this I would be most appreciative 🙂

As a bit of background:

• I have a table (Issues) that lists all records that we create for IT related incidents
  • For major incidents, we have a parent record (Incident) and potentially multiple child records (Sub-tasks) per parent. There would always be at least 1 child per parent for major incidents
  • We have a column called Impact Downtime which lists the numeric downtime figure for each Sub-task, but this is not capture on an Incident row
  • We have a column called Issue Type which lists whether the record is an Incident or Subtask
  • We have a column called Parent Issue Type which will list Incident on all rowa that relate to Sub-tasks, but will be blank on rows that relate to Incidents (as they don't have a parent)
  • We have a column called Parent ID, which lists the Incident ID that is the parent for related sub-task. This field is blank for row that relate to incidents

What I am trying to get to, is a new column called MAX Downtime per Incident, which contains the MAX downtime value  from the different sub-tasks related to each parent incident. Hopefully the following image helps

dwightman2176_0-1714555716065.png

Thanks in advance

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @dwightman2176 

Download PBIX file with the example below

This works for me 

MAX Downtime Per Incident = 

VAR _MaxDT = CALCULATE(MAX('DataTable'[Downtime]), FILTER(ALL('DataTable'), SELECTEDVALUE('DataTable'[Issue ID]) = 'DataTable'[Parent ID]))

RETURN IF(SELECTEDVALUE('DataTable'[Issue Type]) = "Incident", _MaxDT)

issues.png

In the table visual make sure that Issue ID is set to Show items with no data

nodata.png

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @dwightman2176 

In your first post you showed columns ID and Parent ID.  I don't see Parent ID in the file.

In your measure you wrote

VAR _MaxDT = CALCULATE(MAX('Issues'[Downtime]), FILTER(ALL('Issues'), SELECTEDVALUE('Issues'[ISSUE_KEY]) = 'Issues'[ISSUE_PARENT_ISSUE_KEY]))

RETURN IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Issues'[Issue Type]) = "Incident", _MaxDT)

where you are trying to use the ISSUE_KEY and ISSUE_PARENT_ISSUE_KEY columns but looking at the data, the data isn't structured in the way you used in your example?

Shouldn't the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rows have ISSUE_PARENT_ISSUE_KEY TSO-16868?

Similarly for the other data I've highlighted, they don't follow the same ID->Parent ID pattern you used in your original example.

baddata.png

Phil

Hi @PhilipTreacy

Thanks for coming back to me. The image I included in my original post was just done for ease of understanding really. Issue ID is actually ISSUE_KEY and Parent ID is actually ISSUE_PARENT_ISSUE_KEY.

In terms of the structure of the ticket data, then again, my original message was done for ease of documentation and explanation. It does not necessarily follow that entries which follow an incident in the table will be the child sub-tasks for that incident. The reason is that, from a process perspective, we raise a sub-task once an incident has been resolved, so if it runs for several days, then obviously there could be many tickets logged between the original incident and subsequent sub-tasks.

The re-worked table below shows how the data could be structured in the table

Power BI Capture.JPG

I hope that explains matters a little and apologies if I've caused some confusion.

Regards

David

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @dwightman2176 

Download PBIX file with the example below

This works for me 

VAR _MaxDT = CALCULATE(MAX('DataTable'[Downtime]), FILTER(ALL('DataTable'), SELECTEDVALUE('DataTable'[Issue ID]) = 'DataTable'[Parent ID]))

RETURN IF(SELECTEDVALUE('DataTable'[Issue Type]) = "Incident", _MaxDT)

issues.png

In the table visual make sure that Issue ID is set to Show items with no data

nodata.png

Regards

Phil

Hi @PhilipTreacy 

The solution you gave populates the MAX downtime value in a table visual, but is there a way to get the same value populated in a calculated column, so that it returns the MAX value for rows which have incidents, but returns a blank for the rows that relate to sub-tasks?

Thanks
David

Hi @PhilipTreacy ,

Ignore my last message - my table was filtered on a date field that only exists in Sub-tasks, so it wasn't showing any incidents. Once I remove that, the Max value is being displayed.

Thank you so much!

Thanks for coming back to me Phil. Unfortunately I'm just getting blank in every row.

This is the updated query I used:

VAR _MaxDT = CALCULATE(MAX('Issues'[Downtime]), FILTER(ALL('Issues'), SELECTEDVALUE('Issues'[ISSUE_KEY]) = 'Issues'[ISSUE_PARENT_ISSUE_KEY]))

RETURN IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Issues'[Issue Type]) = "Incident", _MaxDT)

Hi @dwightman2176 

Can you please supply your actual data, or even better your PBIX file,  so I can look at it and write the DAX to work with that.

Regards

Phil

Hi @PhilipTreacy . How do I attach a PBIX file as I get an error saying I cannot attach that file type (same with Excel)

Thanks
David

Hi @dwightman2176 

Prob easiest to load the file to somewhere like OneDrive or Google Drive and then link to it from here.

Phil

Hi @PhilipTreacy , hopefully Dropbox is OK?

I've attached a version of the data and PBIX file...hopefully it helps.

Basically we report uptime % in our weekly and monthly reports, which is all based on Sub-task data as that is where we record accurate downtime minutes for each incident.

For a quarterly report that we now produce, we have a to report uptime % based on the number of unique incidents, so I need to take the MAX downtime figure from the one or more sub-tasks that relate to each P1 or P2 incident, and use that in the uptime % calculation. That's why I wanted the MAX Downtime figure in the calculated colunn, so I could just replicate the same calculation we use for the weekly and monthly uptime %.

Thanks

David

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/11yvwhu1m6esk14pcvlwl/Power-BI-Help-Data.pbix?rlkey=hydww4aot308s7r2a...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.