Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Retrieve duration

Hello everyone, 

I have a table with date and time, Status and a flow ID. I want to calculate the duration between the first appearance of the Status 'Delivered' and the Status 'Stop flow'. 

I think the first step is to transpose the column, but since there are more statussen with 'Delivered' for one flow ID, I don't know how to do this. 

The second step is to calculate the difference as a number between the two new columns and finally create a measure to convert that number to a date and time function. I know those steps, so it's only the first step. 

So, the duration between Delivered and Stop flow for the first Flow ID should be 5 minutes and 5 seconds, and for the second Flow ID 5 minutes and 4 seconds.

If necesseary, you can use the link below; it containts the same sample data as in the image.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rY_bxfziDo1lIjm0ssM_56UkGlWifLQi/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=11807...

loggins.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bolfri
Super User
Super User

Let's assume that your oryginal data is named: Sample.

1. Create a new blank query and create an aggregated table per Flow execution id, status with new Columns "min and max".

= Table.Group(Sample, {"Flow execution id", "Status"}, {{"min", each List.Min([Date and time]), type nullable datetime}, {"max", each List.Max([Date and time]), type nullable datetime}})

bolfri_1-1677796176087.png

2. Group it once again packing this information into table.

bolfri_2-1677796238117.png

3. Add custom column with Startdatetime:

List.Min(Table.Column(Table.SelectRows([Combined], each [Status]="Delivered"),"Date and time"))

4. Add custom column with End datetime

List.Max(Table.Column(Table.SelectRows([Combined], each [Status]="Stop flow"),"Date and time"))

5. Add duration

[End datetime] - [Start datetime]

bolfri_3-1677797107606.png

Full code:

let
    Source = Table.Group(Sample, {"Flow execution id"}, {{"Combined", each _, type table [Date and time=nullable datetime, Flow execution id=nullable text, Status=nullable text]}}),
    #"Added Start Datetime" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Start datetime", each List.Min(Table.Column(Table.SelectRows([Combined], each [Status]="Delivered"),"Date and time"))),
    #"Added End Datetime" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Start Datetime", "End datetime", each List.Max(Table.Column(Table.SelectRows([Combined], each [Status]="Stop flow"),"Date and time"))),
    #"Added Duration" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added End Datetime", "Duration", each [End datetime] - [Start datetime])
in
    #"Added Duration"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bolfri
Super User
Super User

Let's assume that your oryginal data is named: Sample.

1. Create a new blank query and create an aggregated table per Flow execution id, status with new Columns "min and max".

= Table.Group(Sample, {"Flow execution id", "Status"}, {{"min", each List.Min([Date and time]), type nullable datetime}, {"max", each List.Max([Date and time]), type nullable datetime}})

bolfri_1-1677796176087.png

2. Group it once again packing this information into table.

bolfri_2-1677796238117.png

3. Add custom column with Startdatetime:

List.Min(Table.Column(Table.SelectRows([Combined], each [Status]="Delivered"),"Date and time"))

4. Add custom column with End datetime

List.Max(Table.Column(Table.SelectRows([Combined], each [Status]="Stop flow"),"Date and time"))

5. Add duration

[End datetime] - [Start datetime]

bolfri_3-1677797107606.png

Full code:

let
    Source = Table.Group(Sample, {"Flow execution id"}, {{"Combined", each _, type table [Date and time=nullable datetime, Flow execution id=nullable text, Status=nullable text]}}),
    #"Added Start Datetime" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Start datetime", each List.Min(Table.Column(Table.SelectRows([Combined], each [Status]="Delivered"),"Date and time"))),
    #"Added End Datetime" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Start Datetime", "End datetime", each List.Max(Table.Column(Table.SelectRows([Combined], each [Status]="Stop flow"),"Date and time"))),
    #"Added Duration" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added End Datetime", "Duration", each [End datetime] - [Start datetime])
in
    #"Added Duration"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bolfri 
Thank you so much!! Works perfectly 🙂 I even have the Duration in a Time format immediatly, which I didn't expect. 

andhiii079845
Super User
Super User

If more delivered appear for own ID, do you want to take the earlist event? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.