Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

perezrd5
Frequent Visitor

Retain higher-level detail when drilling down in matrix

I have a client that is used to Power Pivot in Excel, and would like to keep the upper level of a hierarchy intact and unexpanded when drilling down to the lext level.  To wit, here is the top level of the hierarchy:

Capture.JPG

When my client drills down, the display removes all but the parent of the level above:

drill-down.JPG

See how AdColony is the only record from the upper level displayed?  They would like to see AdColony, AdMod, AdX, etc. all displayed at their level of the hierarchy, then *only* expand the detail for the selected parent, AdColony.

Has anyone encountered this and what is a possible solution?

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a different yet somehow simillar problems to this post 

I have a sales volume report in Matrix visualization, as you can see in the attached images, I have 5 level of rows headers.

bi_reporting_0-1643180680885.png

So as default, while I drill up to the top level (Industry), I can expand down to lower levels such as BU, Channel, Category and Product Group without any issues. However, the Management Team when to view from middle level, that mean they drill up to only the Channel level and expand down to Product Group level, so when I drill down to the Channel level, Power BI does not allow use the expand function anymore.

bi_reporting_1-1643180983717.png

Can anyone help me? Apprieciate your kind support!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Use the forked arrows when drilling down. Also I believe there are some options in the format area for visuals where you can adjust how the hierarchy gets displayed.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Forked arrow expands all items to the next level. Desired behavior is a single level drilled-down with parent level left intact showing all values.

Go into the format section for your visual and under the X-Axis turn off "Concatenate labels". This was the second part I was referring to.

Latest book!:

Don't see that option anywhere.  Do you think I'm working with a chart rather than a matrix?

@perezrd5- I missed that you were in Excel. Power BI's matrix visualization does not act this way at all. It sounds like your issue is with using a pivot table in Excel and therefore you'll probably have better luck in an Excel forum. There's probably a pivot table option ofr that but see below in terms of how Power BI's matrix visualization works. 

matrix.png

Latest book!:

Hi, @Greg_Deckler--

#1, I want to sincerely thank you for trying this hard to help me with my problem.

#2, I am not working in Excel.  I am trying to recreate functionality that exists in Excel in a Power BI Matrix.

#3, my client is not satisfied with the default behavior of the forked arrow. 

The issue is that while the single parent level appears with all of its children, the rest of the items at the parent's level disappear.  My clients would like all values at the parent level to remain, unexpanded, with the selected level drilled-down to its next level of detail.

That's my problem.  Do you know of a way in Power BI to give my client what they want?

I'm open to using something other than a matrix.

I'm open to using custom visuals.

I'm open to anything in the Power BI universe.

Thank you again, truly, for taking the time to understand my problem and to offering me help.  I've looked for assistance in a lot of places, and your efforts to help me are really making a difference and helping me to keep going.

How does this feature of retaining higher level detail after drilling down is possible, exists or functional in excel. Can anyone help? I am using Excel 2016. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.