Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JamieAU1980
Frequent Visitor

Retain Data Selection when hiding / showing 2 Table visualizations from the same Dataset

Hi all

I have a report with 2 table visualizations both from the same dataset. Table 1 is a list of Project codes and other info fields. Table 2 is a range of Purchase Orders with order info fields, relating to Projects.

When I have both tables visible in the report, when I click on a project code in the project table, the purchase order table refines to those related to the project selected. Likewise, when an order is selected from the order table, the project table is refined to the applicable project/s.

For the purpose of my report, I only want to show one table visualization at a time, so I have created buttons with bookmark actions to toggle show / hide of the tables as appropriate. My desired outcome is that I could select say a project code from the displayed project table which would refine the hidden PO table to the project orders, I would click the show order button, and then the project table would be hidden, and the refined order table would display (and likewise I could do the opposite with orders refining a hidden project table etc).

On testing the above, it seems as though when a table is hidden, the data that was selected eg project, reverts to the default table state (no selection), and the displayed order table that results shows all purchase orders.

So, wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions on how I can achieve my desired result.

Some things I have tried:

* I have ensured it is only the display property of the selected visualizations that is updated by the bookmarks (ie data off) - it seems as though this has no effect when the bookmark hides the visualization

* As opposed to toggling the show / display of the visualizations, I also tried to change the layering of each visualization to swap with each bookmark action, however bookmarks seemlingly don't reflect changes with layers

HERE is a link to a sample PBIX the demonstrates the issue I'm trying to resolve. It isn't my actual data, which has many more fields and rows. The 1st report page shows both table visualiztions at the same time, with one refining as a field is clicked in the other table. The 2nd report page is essentially what I have setup in my actual report, with showing / hiding visualizations bookmark buttons. You'll see when you click say project code ABC123 in the Project Table, then click on "Show Purchase Orders" that the resulting table loses the selected ABC123 project.

Thanks to anoyone who can suggestion any solutions. I'm relatively new to Power BI, so it's entriely possible that I'm going about this the wrong way, and there's a entriely different / better solution to what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks

Jamie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JamieAU1980 ,

I updated your sample pbix file(see the attachment) using the drillthrough feature, please check if that is what you want.

Set up drillthrough in Power BI reports

yingyinr_0-1671436537369.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JamieAU1980 ,

I updated your sample pbix file(see the attachment) using the drillthrough feature, please check if that is what you want.

Set up drillthrough in Power BI reports

yingyinr_0-1671436537369.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.