Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JohnAnderson_
Frequent Visitor

Reporting the end of month status of a job that spans several months

Hi all,

I have to report historically on the number of job actions by month split by whether they are overdue or not.

As an example, if one action is created in March, becomes overdue in May and is closed before end of June

Created DueCompleted
9/03/2022  16/05/2022  17/06/2022  

I need to summarise it as follows.  Noting that although the action is still open in June (6th month) it has been closed before the last day of the month.  A daily summary would show this as becoming overdue on the 17/05/2022.

End of MonthOverdueValue
31/03/2022  No0
30/04/2022  No0
31/05/2022  Yes1

my schema is below, with the odsiAudit actions table containing the 3 date columns.

JohnAnderson__0-1653530312410.png

Do you have any suggestions about how I could produce a monthly summary of the status of the action?

Thank you,

John.

4 REPLIES 4
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JohnAnderson_ ,

Please create an independent date table.

Calendar = 
ADDCOLUMNS (
    CALENDAR ( DATE ( 2022, 1, 1 ), DATE ( 2022, 12, 31 ) ),
    "MonthStart", EOMONTH ( [Date], -1 ) + 1,
    "MonthEnd", EOMONTH ( [Date], 0 )
)

vkkfmsft_0-1653966582591.png

Then create these measures.

Overdue = 
IF (
    MAX ( 'odsiAudit actions'[created_date] ) <= MAX ( 'Calendar'[MonthEnd] )
        && MAX ( 'odsiAudit actions'[due_date] ) > MAX ( 'Calendar'[MonthEnd] ),
    "No",
    IF (
        MAX ( 'Calendar'[MonthEnd] ) >= MAX ( 'odsiAudit actions'[due_date] )
            && MAX ( 'Calendar'[MonthStart] ) < MAX ( 'odsiAudit actions'[completed_date] ),
        "Yes"
    )
)
Value = 
SWITCH ( [Overdue], "No", 0, "Yes", 1 )

vkkfmsft_1-1653966608215.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Winniz @v-kkf-msft,

Thank you for this and for the attachment.  Its very close and the logic seems to be working, giving both a literal value and a numeric.  A couple of questions please.

• How does this draw a relationship between the two tables you have created when there is no obvious join?  is the measure applying this relationship on the fly when it is used in the pivot table?
  • Is there a way to calculate the total (sum(Value)) so that the total number of overdue and not overdue can be shown in the pivot?  This would result in only 2 columns.

thanks again.

John.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@JohnAnderson_ , Create an independent date table and then create a measure like

countx(filter(Table, Table[Created]<= Max(Date[Date]) && Table[Due] <= Max(Date[Date])  && Table[Completed] >= Max(Date[Date]) ), Table[Created])

Use Date from date table , You can create a end of month date like

eomonth([Date],0)

Creating Financial Calendar - From Any Month
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Creating-Financial-Calendar-Decoding-Date-and-Calend...

Hi @amitchandak , 

thank you for this.  I'm not sure is working and have re-constructed this in a pbi file, if you have the time.  you will see that when I select the month of March 2021 (31/3/2021) it has a total of 2 but the filtered list below shows more.   {actually not sure how to upload an attachment}.  here is a dropbox link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/eiyim8plsle6z77/Amit%20solution.pbix?dl=0

John.

JohnAnderson__0-1654490736388.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.