Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Repleacing blank() with zeros

I have a table with simple SUM measures, but i need to replace blanks with zeros. If I change measure with IF statement , it will remove filter applied to Machine column

withou IF

before.png

with IF in Scraps of All %  measure. it works, but now this 0 is ignoring filter in Machine column

after.png

Production:= SUM( Production[ProducedParts] )

Total Scraps:= SUM( Scrap[pocet] )

All:= [Total Production] + [Total Scraps]

Scraps of All %:= DIVIDE( [Scraps], [All] )

Production of All%:= DIVIDE( [Production], [All] )

thank you

12 REPLIES 12
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

If you've fixed the issue on your own please kindly share your solution. if the above posts help, please kindly mark it as a solution to help others find it more quickly. If not, please kindly elaborate more. thanks!

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

You can use a trick of DIVIDE to exclude the rows where there is no [Production] and then you can use the IF like so:

Scrap of All % = DIVIDE([Production],[Production]) * IF ( [Scraps] = 0, 0, DIVIDE ( [Scraps], [All], 0 ) )

DIVIDE([Production],[Production]) returns a BLANK() if there is not [Prodution] and a 1 if there is [Prodcution].  BLANK * a value = BLANK so then the IF only shows on lines where there is production and the % is 0 when there is no [Scraps] 

2020-06-26_10-56-12.png

you can see in my data I have more machines but some have to [Production].  With just the IF I get the 0 on rows that should be empty but the corrected measure from above give me a blank on those rows so they will drop out when I am only showing the good measure.

2020-06-26_10-58-01.png

We can make it a bit better and avoid calcing measures multiple times using a VAR.

Scrap of All % =
VAR _All = [All]
VAR _Scraps = [Scraps]
RETURN 
    DIVIDE ( _All, _All ) * IF ( _Scraps = 0, 0, DIVIDE ( _Scraps, _All, 0 ) )

I also changed it to check the [All] rather than [Prodution]

edhans
Super User
Super User

You don't need to use IF. Use COALESCE. 

Production :=
COALESCE(
    SUM( Production[ProducedParts] ),
)

But you will need to explain what you mean by the machine filter. What is the filter? If you are filtering for blank, then yeah, it won't work when you swap blanks for zeros. Please provide a screenshot if possible of the filter, and how it relates to the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

An first printscreen you can see only some of Machines (filter applied at filter pane), and all machines at second printscrees (filter is still on) because there is 0 in Scraps of All % measure, but i need to display only Machines choose in filter

FeroSK_0-1593185276021.png

(not check on this printscreen)

Ok, I'm sorry, but I am still not understanding.

"An first printscreen you can see only some of Machines (filter applied at filter pane)" - Yes, but I don't know what that filter is. You provided a screen shot of a filter pane that has no filter selections.

"and all machines at second printscrees (filter is still on) because there is 0 in Scraps of All % measure"  - I don't see how your 0 scraps in all % meaure applies to the filter. If that measure returns blank, then by default you may/may not see machines because of how you have the data set. You can see in the image below you can show/hide items with "no data" which means blanks.

" but i need to display only Machines choose in filter" - What are you expecting to see exactly? That is a filter of machines. That is what you should see, only machines. I am not understanding.

2020-06-26 08_33_44-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.png

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wrong. thank you for you patience.

example:

i have two filter dimension: Machine Type, Machines (1:* relationship)

FeroSK_4-1593187478563.png

Table ("Machine" is from Machines table, filtred by MachineType table)

results:

FeroSK_6-1593187701750.png

I need 0's in all other colums for Drill01, WB01, WB04, WB08, WB12 machines

so if i change measure for Scraps of All %

from measure:

Scraps of All %:= DIVIDE( [Scraps], [All])

to measure:

Scraps of All %:= COALESCE(DIVIDE( [Scraps], [All]), 0)

(thank you for COALESCE)

result is:

Anonymous
Not applicable

after.png

i need a table only with Machines by MachineType filter (not in red square)

I'm sorry @Anonymous - I cannot help. There is no MachineType field in the image so I cannot help you construct a filter based on a field I cannot see or know what is in it. You have to understand I have no idea what your model looks like or your data, beyond your screenshots. You have to provide specific and detailed info.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.
How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Anonymous
Not applicable

@edhans 
of cource. thank you

maybe this help:

all measures:

Production:= SUM( Production[ProducedParts] )

Scraps:= SUM( Scrap[pocet] )

All:= [Total Production] + [Total Scraps]

Scraps of All %:= DIVIDE( [Scraps], [All] )

Production of All%:= DIVIDE( [Production], [All] )

model:

FeroSK_0-1593189836840.png

* MachineCodebook = Machines (from my examples)

I have put MachineType fied to table. now a see its wrong. By why 🤔

FeroSK_0-1593190341421.png

@Anonymous Check out this article on how DAX handles blanks. A number plus a blank = that number, but when you divide with a blank, it returns a blank, not a zero.

You can show/hide items with "no data" which is a blank, using the column setting I gave earlier in a screenshot, or you can cause blanks to return as zero using COALESCE as mentioned before. In its simplest form:

Measure = COALESCE([Some Other Measure], 0)

That will return 0 if the [Some Other Measure] returns a blank.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@edhans here is an example file

https://www.uschovna.cz/zasilka/ZRT6735A7CEI7IE9-93X/  

If you add Scraps % measure to table, it will repeat all machines to all machinetypes. What is happend with relationship?

i dont understand why

thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.