Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

'Replace Values' is Not Generating Expected Results

BACKGROUND: We have a report in Power BI where the data is loaded from Azure DevOps. I am trying to consolidate the values in one of the columns in Power BI (labeled, STATE) so that all the values of that column have a corresponding match in another column (labeled, STATE CATEGORY). Previously, we had used some STATE values that ended up causing some States not map to any State Category. Steps have been taken in Azure DevOps to prevent this from happening in future, but the historic STATE values are there that are in question here.

SAMPLE DATA: Here are the two columns in question:

State

State Category

Versioned

Proposed

Validated

Proposed

Sized

Proposed

Reported

Proposed

QA

InProgress

Proposed

Proposed

New

Proposed

Endorsed

Proposed

Done

Resolved

Development

InProgress

Design

Proposed

Confirmed

Proposed

Closed

Completed

Assigned

Proposed

Active

InProgress

9b. Done

9a. Ready for Deployment

8. Passed QA - Awaiting PM Approval

7a. Code Fixup

7. QA Testing in Progress

6. Ready for QA

5b. Code Review

5. In Development

4b. Committed

3b. Versioned

3. Sized

2. Approved for Development

1. PM/BA Review

1. New

PROBLEM: You can see how the highlighted rows have no corresponding STATE CATEGORY; just blank. Need those State values replaced with the appropriate ones from within the same column, so that all the State values will be mapped to a State Category.

MY APPROACH: In Power BI Desktop > Transform Data, I, simply replaced the highlighted STATE values with standard (pre-existing) ones, like below, by right-clicking the State column, and using "Replace values..." command:

Old Value

New Value

Versioned

Versioned

Validated

Validated

Sized

Sized

Reported

New

QA

QA

Proposed

New

New

New

Endorsed

Validated

Done

Done

Development

Development

Design

Design

Confirmed

Validated

Closed

Closed

Assigned

Assigned

Active

Active

9b. Done

Done

9a. Ready for Deployment

Done

8. Passed QA - Awaiting PM Approval

Done

7a. Code Fixup

Development

7. QA Testing in Progress

QA

6. Ready for QA

QA

5b. Code Review

Development

5. In Development

Development

4b. Committed

Development

3b. Versioned

Versioned

3. Sized

Sized

2. Approved for Development

Validated

1. PM/BA Review

New

1. New

New

EXPECTED RESULTS: My expectation was that by doing so, these unmapped values will be treated as the ‘pre-existing’ State values, and the State column will still have unique values - all of which will map to the corresponding STATE CATEGORY, like below:

State

State Category

Versioned

Proposed

Validated

Proposed

Sized

Proposed

Reported

Proposed

QA

InProgress

Proposed

Proposed

New

Proposed

Endorsed

Proposed

Done

Resolved

Development

InProgress

Design

Proposed

Confirmed

Proposed

Closed

Completed

Assigned

Proposed

Active

InProgress

ACTUAL RESULTS: However, this is the result I am getting: So, Power BI is just creating duplicate State values per instance, but still not mapping the ‘replaced values’ to any State Category. There are more than 500K rows in the dataset, and not having every State mapped to a State Category is causing major issues when running such reports as Total Count of Work Items in “Resolved” or “InProgress” State Category etc.

State

State Category

Versioned

Proposed

Validated

Proposed

Sized

Proposed

New

Proposed

QA

InProgress

New

Proposed

New

Proposed

Validated

Proposed

Done

Resolved

Development

InProgress

Design

Proposed

Validated

Proposed

Closed

Completed

Assigned

Proposed

Active

InProgress

Done

Done

Done

Development

QA

QA

Development

Development

Development

Versioned

Sized

Validated

New

New

REQUEST: Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated that will help achieve what I have illustrated in the table (under the ‘Expected Results’ section) above. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Ok, this took some deciphering.

If I understand you correctly, you've replaced the values in the 'State' column and you're happy with that.  However, you seem to be expecting some automatic process to recognise the 'State' values and populate the 'State Category' in the same way they are populated further up the dataset.  

Unfortunately, Power Query doesn't work like that.  You're going to have to explicitly instruct Power Query (either by using the interface or writing M code) to do that.

It should be straightforward. 

You can write a big 'if' statement to add a new column - this would contain all the cases you want.

OR

You can use a lookup table (either by duplicating the table, removing all columns except state, stae category then remove duplicates OR creating your own using 'Enter Data').  You would Merge the original table and the lookup table using inner join on 'State' to return the state category column.

Does that make sense?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @HotChilli . This really helps. I had the lookup table set up, but inner joins were not set up, correctly. I also appreciate the alternate solution (M code) that I was not aware of. Much appreciated!

Thanks.

Asad.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Ok, this took some deciphering.

If I understand you correctly, you've replaced the values in the 'State' column and you're happy with that.  However, you seem to be expecting some automatic process to recognise the 'State' values and populate the 'State Category' in the same way they are populated further up the dataset.  

Unfortunately, Power Query doesn't work like that.  You're going to have to explicitly instruct Power Query (either by using the interface or writing M code) to do that.

It should be straightforward. 

You can write a big 'if' statement to add a new column - this would contain all the cases you want.

OR

You can use a lookup table (either by duplicating the table, removing all columns except state, stae category then remove duplicates OR creating your own using 'Enter Data').  You would Merge the original table and the lookup table using inner join on 'State' to return the state category column.

Does that make sense?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.