Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing Text from a date column

I have a row that is meant to store the date when an item was launched. It is currently stored as a mix of just the date in format "1/10/19" or in the format "Launched-1/10/19" I want to remove everything but the date itself so the column can be changed into date format. I have tried using Text.Remove in the formula for a new column but I get an error that Text.Remove is not a function. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Try adding a custom column in the query editor with this formula.  It will only keep the numbers and / from your text.

= Text.Select([DateTextColumn], {"0".."9", "/"})

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Try adding a custom column in the query editor with this formula.  It will only keep the numbers and / from your text.

= Text.Select([DateTextColumn], {"0".."9", "/"})

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Execute Split Column by Delimiter "-" in Power Query Editor mode (Transform ribbon)

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apologize I should have been more specific in my question, some are formatted "Launched-1/2/20" some are "Launched 1/2/20" some are "soft transition 1/2/20" and some are just "1/2/20". How would I get all of the dates in one column using split by delimiter.

Hey Nickpin,

This might be a bit of a pain, but you might have to do a few delimiter splits and a custom column or two to get your data just right from the power query side. This is the play data I'm starting with

westwrightj_0-1594849463143.png

So what I'm going to do is actually split this by the common delimiter for the date which is "/"

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Dates", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Dates", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("/", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Dates.1", "Dates.2", "Dates.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Dates.1", type text}, {"Dates.2", Int64.Type}, {"Dates.3", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

That will give us this

westwrightj_1-1594849533024.png

Next we are going to create a custom column that pulls the numerical value out of the first field and add it with the other fields

= Table.AddColumn(#"Split Column by Delimiter", "Date", each Text.Select([Dates.1], {"0".."9"}) 
&
"/"
&
[Dates.2]
&
"/"
&
[Dates.3])

Which will give us this result

westwrightj_2-1594849655616.png

Go ahead and remove your old columns and change the data type to date and you should be set. 

westwrightj_3-1594849693972.png

Here are the steps from the advanced editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8kkszUvOSE3RNdQ30jcyUIrVQYgpIIkhMYPz00oUSooS84ozSzLz8+CqYgE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Dates = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Dates", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Dates", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("/", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Dates.1", "Dates.2", "Dates.3"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Split Column by Delimiter", "Date", each Text.Select([Dates.1], {"0".."9"}) 
&
"/"
&
[Dates.2]
&
"/"
&
[Dates.3]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Dates.1", "Dates.2", "Dates.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"Date", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.