Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ronaldbalza2023
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Remote SQL server connection

Hi everyone, how can I connect an SQL server remotely as my data source? The server will be located somewhere in Australia and I am located in Singapore. How can I possibly access it remotely? Tutorial/links on how to do it are very much appreciated 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ronaldbalza2023 , if you can access using URL, Port nad credential, then it is a normal connection.

On power bi service you have to check if it can work as cloud then only need credentials. else you need on-premise gateway 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sql-tutorial

Hi @amitchandak , thank you for taking the time on this. I already have the information on the link that you have provided. Just need to know, how to connect an SQL server to a remote machine. Like what you have said, accessing via url/port? how to set this one up? Thanks for the tips in advance 🙂

Hi, @ronaldbalza2023 

Check this: How to configure remote access and connect to a remote SQL Server instance with ApexSQL tools

Hope it helps.

Did I answer your question? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.