Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soundguy2
Helper I
Helper I

Relative Date Filtering - date moving ahead too early

I'm attempting to use Relative Date Filters to display sales in the last 1 day (the current calendar date).  It works fine for most of the day but at about 5pm PST the filter moves to the next calendar date, 7 hours too early.  It does this whether using Power BI Desktop or the Power BI Service.  Is there any way to align the time used in the Relative Date Filter with PST?after 5pmafter 5pm

before 5pmbefore 5pm

6 REPLIES 6
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @soundguy2

1,Go to query editor>Click on the button of date column on the left top corner and choose "Date/Time",see below:

Annotation 2020-04-24 175748.png

And then you will see what time is set in your date column,here you see:

Annotation 2020-04-24 175901.png

Then find the time difference between the column and your local time,then add a custom column using the M code below to adjust the time:

custom=[Date]+#duration(0,17,51,0)

And you will see:

Annotation 2020-04-24 180142.png

Annotation 2020-04-24 180610.png

Save and use the new column in your visual and apply filters.

Here is a sample .pbxi file you can refer to.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Thank you Kelly for trying to solve this issue for me.  Unfortunately, the Relative Date Filter still moves forward at 5PM PST, and no amount of manipulating the data seems to fix that.  

For now, it looks like the only solution is not to refresh the report after 5PM (not ideal, but better than a 1PM cutoff).

@PowerBI Team - Can the functionality of the Relative Date Filter be improved?  It's usefulness is limited if it's not syncronized to the user's timezone.

Regards,

Brian

Hi @soundguy2 ,

It doesnt make sense,as you have modified the datetime column,there shouldnt be any time difference between ...

Did you use the new date/time column in the date field?

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi Kelly,

There definitely is a time difference when using a date column that has been modified.  Following your directions, I can adjust so that the daily sales is correct after 5PM, however I then see yesterday's sales before 5PM.  The relative date filter always changes at 5PM so there is always some difference before and after that time.  

The real kicker was this evening (April 30) when all April sales disappeared because that report was using the "is in this month" filter.  Unless there's secret way to realign the relative date filter to the user's time, we'll have wait for the Power BI team at Microsoft to address this one.  Thanks again.

Regards,

Brian

I have this issue as well, were you ever able to come up with a solution to this?

Nope.  I've just accepted that we're not going to view today's sales after 5pm pacific time.  Sadly, it's been years since the original post on this.

Regards,

Brian

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.