Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBIDevNoob
Helper I
Helper I

Relationships and Reference Measure vs Direct Formula

Hi! 

I'm trying to understand why my relationships doesn't seem to be working correctly and the difference between calling a measure from another measure and directly applying the formula in a measure. 

I have 2 tables with a one-to-many relationship. The first table just describes the ID, the second table has columns for ID, Year, Category, and Value. 

I added 3 measures for average. 

1. Average = AVERAGE('VALUE'[Value])
  2. Average by ID Direct = AVERAGEX( VALUES('VALUE'[ID]), AVERAGE('VALUE'[Value]))
  3. Average by Measure = AVERAGEX( VALUES('VALUE'[ID]), [Average]))

I then created a table/matrix with 'Values'[ID], 'Description'[Description], 'Values'[Category], with measures 2 and 3, and slicers for Category and Year.

For some reason, when I select from the Year and Category slicers, the measure "Average by Measure" I get a table where the description returns 2 rows for 1 ID:

ResultResult

So I have questions regarding this.

1. Why did Measure 2 and 3 return different values when in essence they should be the same?
  2. Why doesn't the relationship work even though I've set the direction to filter both. 

Note:

I realize that I can fix this by adding the relatedtable to measure 3, but I want to understand why. I also know that I can just use the ID from the Description table, but again, I want to understand why.

I've attached my sample in Google Drive: GDrive PBIX File 

Values TableValues TableDescription TableDescription Table

RelationshipRelationship

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@PBIDevNoob 

Every measure has an implicit CALCULATE that you can’t see, so measures always trigger context transition from within a row context. Besides, you may try performance analyzer in Power BI Desktop to check query.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try using DISTINCT instead of VALUES. VALUES and VALUE aren't the greatest functions in the world and tend to be overused. They tend to mask data modeling issues.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks, but it pretty much returns the same thing. I'm also more concerned with knowing why the relationship isn't working correctly and why the using a measure in a measure returns a different value than using the same formula directly. 

@PBIDevNoob 

Every measure has an implicit CALCULATE that you can’t see, so measures always trigger context transition from within a row context. Besides, you may try performance analyzer in Power BI Desktop to check query.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I think the problem , because of blank values. Please find the attached file.

Can you tell me why? Also, if I create "Measure = 1" it returns something like a cartesian join for the IDs between the tables. Why does this happen even though I have a bi-directional filter on the tables. This doesn't make sense to me, and it feels like I'm not understanding a basic concept of relationships and measures. 

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.