Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relationship based on the multiple date columns

Hi ,

I have a date Dim and one customer fact table. And another Dim table called customer type.

In the Customer fact table I have a two different date columns. Let’s say 1) customer create date 2 ) customer active date.  

Relationships as below.

• Customer Fact table joined with data table based on customer active date.
  • Customer Fact table joined with Customer type table based on customer ID

I have created a new Measure called Count of Customer and added a slicer on Customer Type.

The customer type has 2 records like active and enrolled. When user select Customer type as an active the measure should be bring the count of customers based on the create date, and when user select customer type as a Enrolled the count of customer should be bring the count of customers based on the active date.

Power bi.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the solution :

Duplicated the table and made the relationship with date dim table.

And in the dax function used below formula.

IF (

SELECTEDVALUE ( customer_type[cust-id] ) = 11

&& SELECTEDVALUE ( customer_type[cust-id]) = 10,

[Enrolledvalue],

[activevalues]

)

Enrolled values and active values are another dax function where I am calculating the KPI values.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
edhans
Super User
Super User

Create both relationships as normal. The first one you create will be active, the second will be inactive and represented by a dotted line.

Then you use the USERELATIONSHIP() function to activate in a measure. So a measure using the inactive relationship might look like this:

=
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Sales[SalesDollars] ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( Dates[Date], Sales[ShipDate] )
)

Whereas the active relationship wouldn't need to be activated, it is on by default, so a normal SUM(Sales[SalesDollars]) would work for the billing date as an example.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tied it but unfortunately it’s not working when I change the slicer selections.

Excepting result as below.

Cust_ID

Customer Name

create date

Active date

Debra

1/3/2019

Kasha

10/20/2017

11/12/2017

Tameka

5/12/2018

5/15/2018

Charolette

8/30/2018

9/2/2018

Lyndsey

1/3/2019

Pamelia

1/3/2019

Jacqulie

1/3/2019

Lets say User selected Customer slicer as an Active

Then the result should be 3

And if user selected Customer Slicer as a Enrolled

Then the Result should be 7

KPI.jpg

Well, this is kind of janky, but you didn't explain how you were determining how it was active or not, and I don't see the relevance to the two dates and being related to the date table.

See my attached file. Basically, I did this:

• In Power Query, I created a new column to add the status - Active or Enrolled, based on some logic of what is in the two date columns. This gives me a slicer field to work with. You didn't say how you got your slicer that I saw. You say it was based on the Customer Type table, but that just has their ID and name/description. 
  • In DAX, I created a measure that if it is active, count the filtered records. If it is Enrolled, count everything since they aren't in your table if they aren't enrolled.
    • Record Count = 
      IF(
          ALLSELECTED('Customer Info'[Is Active])="Active",
          COUNTROWS('Customer Info'),
          COUNTROWS(ALL('Customer Info')
          )
      )

If that doesn't work you are going to have to provide a model to look at. I'm making too many guesses to figure out how your data is laid out and where your slicer is coming from. 

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your Replay,  

Yes, in my Fact table i have a Cust_ID which is made a join with Customer Type DIm table.  

and Logic is whenever customer has created a account one Cust ID will be generated which is associated with create date. and when the same customer activated his account then the same Cust ID  will be associated with active date column. So here activated Customer has 2 dates , one is created date and another one is Activated date, if customer is not activated he should has only created date.  

The Customer DIM table has only 2 columns which is Cust_ID and Cust_type.  

Like Cust_ID 1 = activated  

Cust_id  2=  Enrollared  

Cust_ID 3 = Null  

Ok. Like I said, I'd want to see your model, or a model with fake data. I cannot see if your relationships are bi-directional or not, and that comes into play more when you have an non-star schema, which it seems you do as you have DIM tables off of DIM tables, which isn't recommended for query analysis. Good for update/add/delete in a database, not for query performance in Power BI.

But I cannot keep guessing and adding new tidbits of info with what you've given so far to go futher. Perhaps someone else can.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here am sending the data model and data per table ,Kindly find the attached file .    Its really apprieciate for your positive respones and your help.  Data Model Power BI Sample DataData ModelData ModelSample DataSample DataPower BI reportPower BI report

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any inputs please 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any one please suggest on this request .

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the solution :

Duplicated the table and made the relationship with date dim table.

And in the dax function used below formula.

IF (

SELECTEDVALUE ( customer_type[cust-id] ) = 11

&& SELECTEDVALUE ( customer_type[cust-id]) = 10,

[Enrolledvalue],

[activevalues]

)

Enrolled values and active values are another dax function where I am calculating the KPI values.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.