Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

KeithChu
Helper I
Helper I

Relationship: Star schema for multiple fact table

Dear all,

I have two fact table (Sales Table, Gift Table) and they have common look up dimension table (Customer, Product, Calender, etc).

I would like to filter out dimension based on fact, like "find customer who has bought certain amount of product A while received gift before'. This, I believe, would require a bidirectional filtering. And when I change to bidirection, Power BI would not allow it, saying there is ambigious filtering path.

My current solution would be disable/switch to "single" relationship when needed. Can you guys share your experience on design the data structure with multiple fact table? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

A schema can have one or more facts, but these facts are not linked by any key relationship. It is best practice not to join fact tables in a single query.Please refer these two very good articles:

Three ways to drill across by Chris Adamson

and

Should of the Warehouse - Drilling Across by Ralph Kimball

(from Stack overflow)

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@KeithChu,

Please check my reply in the similar thread below. If you still have questions, please share a screenshot about your relationships in the data model.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Data-model-loop-cant-point-2-transaction-dates-to-DateTable...

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.