Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relation from - to flips in relationship dialog but is correct in model

Hi All,

I noticed when I setup or edit a relationship sometimes is shows up incorrectly in the model but flipped in the relationship dialog.  It is like I tell Power BI Desktop the from to but it flips the order in the dialog but is ok in the model. It is like the foreign key is ok direction wise in the model but flipped in the relationship dialog. Is not "From" the master table and "To" is the detail table?

Thanks,

-Tony

5 REPLIES 5
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

According to your description, the issue is not very clear.

But i think you can change its filter direction and direction type(Both/Single) by managing relationships:

95.jpg

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I'm with you @Anonymous, Power BI definitely has a mind of its own sometimes when creating those relationships!! But generally they are fine, just not exactly what I was expecting. And if there is something incorrect, it is generally pretty easy to fix up in the relationship dialog.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

In edit relation, any table can come up or down, but as long as direct of many to 1 or 1 to many is correct, it should be fine. In case both fact and dimension are the same level, power BI suggests 1-1.

What is the issue you are facing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

As an example say I have two tables one called food group and another called fruit. In the from for the relationship I place a key for the food group and in the to I place a key for the fruit table. After I save that I noticed the  from is the fruit table/key and the to is the food group table and key. But when I look at the model view I see that the relationship line between the tables has an arrow from the food group to the fruit table. That seems to be correct.

The problem is I do not know how that relationship table is used that still seems incorrect is used and if I should worry about it. Also not sure how the business will react when they see what appears to be a bug.

I hope that helps.

Hi,

If you want to create relationships between two tables, the two tables should have at least one linked column, like this:

121.PNG

In this example, the relationship is ID(1) --->Category(*).

If two tables like this, it should be many-to-many relationship:

122.PNG

Here is the link about how to create relationships:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships#create-a-relations... 

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.