Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rollo
Frequent Visitor

Refresh Data Power bi Service

I have created some reports in Power BI Desktop (that connect to a MYSQL database in the cloud) and published them to the Power BI Service.

The refresh routine on the Desktop application works perfectly but not so with the Power BI service.

Reading the Microsoft notes, it says that no gateway is required for an online data source, but when I try and refresh whilst using the service, each refresh attempt is being rejected saying that no gateway exists.

I am finding it very confusing and was wondering if anyone can help.

Cheers

Rollo

3 REPLIES 3
RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @rollo,

What "Microsoft notes" are you reading where it states that? There's a few cases (DirectQuery, etc.) where a gateway is unncessesary, but for the most part it's needed. I've always needed one for any SQL Server import reports.

rollo
Frequent Visitor

Hi RMDNA Sorry for the delay in responding but I have been waiting on a Skype call from a Power BI consultant that never materialised. I did in fact read these notes incorrectly (Apologies) but I am still no wiser how to connect Power BI Service to cloud based databases. It seems to me that the only databases you can get dat for on Power BI serviceuse are the Microsoft ones like Azure (Which mine aren;t). The way I understand it is that gateways are only for On-Premises sources, so in my reasoning, that isn't the solution. Any other comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Rollo

Hi @rollo,

Thanks for your sharing information.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.