Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

parize2202
Regular Visitor

Reflection of data by newly created variable

parize2202_0-1614243832573.png

Hello, dear friends. I need your opinion with regard to one issue with Power BI.

I have database, It has around 500 respondents. So, my database has 500 rows. The respondents are school directors, teachers and schoolchildren. 

These 500 respondents represent 120 schools. I have built charts. And data represents responses of each respondent (unfortunately I cannot upload screenshot).

Now, I have asked to present the data by schools, i.e. children with disabilities - I should visualize response of "school", not its director, school teacher and schoolchildren.

The problem for me now is creating new variable and build data around it. I tried to merge data of district and school number and I created new variable (District #, e.g. Boston 3), but it doesn't work perfectly. Why?

Because another big issue is that I somehow should explain to Power BI to choose one response from possible 3 (by director, by teacher and by schoolchildren). The final answer is by the director.

Hope my explanation is clear. If someone had met such issue, please share your experience. Thank you all in advance

2 REPLIES 2
parize2202
Regular Visitor

Hi, support team

Thank you very much for your response. Thanks for sharing the link.

On merging the fields.

Database has variable School # and district.

Let's imagine, it is district "A", School # 1

So, for school # 1 in district A we have 3 different types of respondents:

Director, teacher and schoolchildren. 

The number of directors, teachers and schoolchildren is around 500. It was very easy to present the data by respondents. But now, my colleagues asked me to provide the data by school, not by respondents.

That's why I merged the data and now I have merged field School # + district, e.g. "District A School # 1"

However, it did not work. If you can help me with some solution, it would be great. Thank you very much in advance

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @parize2202 

I'm a little confused by your description. Sample data and expected output would help tremendously. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly:
How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly 

How did you  merge data of district and school number ? From the screenshoot , I did not find any information about the new variable you mentioned. If possible ,please simplify your question to facilitate our understanding and testing.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.