Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kmcging

Referencing Attached Microsoft Access Files (.PDFs, .JPGs) in PowerBI

Good morning PowerBI Community!

I'm looking to use PowerBI to visualize data for an asset management project I'm working on. I have a Microsoft Access file with a mixture of integer condition data and attached files (.pdf plans and .jpg photographs) that I would like to make more accessible to a client using a PowerBI dashboard. I have so far been successful in importing the integer data tables, but the tables containing attached files (attached using the method shown under the heading "Add an attachment to table" here ) do not show the attachment fields when referenced in PowerBI. In Microsoft Access, for example, "Table X" is a 6-column unassigned object with 3 attachment field columns and 3 text field columns that act as captions, but when referenced into PowerBI, "Table X" is a 3 column table where only the caption columns are present.

Is it possible to pass these attached files from Microsoft Access to be displayed in PowerBI using another attachment or fetching method, or is there another data source that would work better?

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @kmcging 

If you use a power bi desktop to connect to the Access database, the power bi desktop can not Identify the columns containing the attachments(jpg, pdf).

If you want to insert .jpg files to the desktop, you can click this button:

v-robertq-msft_0-1602480724141.png

And if you want to connect to .pdf files in desktop, you can use the pdf connector, like this:

v-robertq-msft_1-1602480724144.png

Follow this link, you can learn more about connecting to pdf files.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-connect-pdf

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @kmcging 

If you use a power bi desktop to connect to the Access database, the power bi desktop can not Identify the columns containing the attachments(jpg, pdf).

If you want to insert .jpg files to the desktop, you can click this button:

v-robertq-msft_0-1602480724141.png

And if you want to connect to .pdf files in desktop, you can use the pdf connector, like this:

v-robertq-msft_1-1602480724144.png

Follow this link, you can learn more about connecting to pdf files.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-connect-pdf

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.