Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dashmarley11
Frequent Visitor

Rearrange Column Order in Matrix

I have a matrix with a column named "Rate Type", which includes 'Base Rate', 'FTP Rate', and 'TLP'.  However, I need to rearrange the column order to:  Base Rate, TLP, FTP Rate

dashmarley11_0-1711552756696.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Odd, if I use a Power Query I can then add an Index column and the alter the number associated with the column entries so that I can move them around as needed. 

It does depend on how your data is set-up though (in my example, I have a look-up table for the values that are your column headers), similar to the example given here: https://endjin.com/blog/2020/07/quick-tip-updating-the-sort-order-of-a-column-in-power-bi

There might be other ways to do it (as I mentioned above, you can 'cheat' and right click on the data field and set it as a 'New Group' that will allow to alter the names into a different running order, and then have that as your column header) and if I think of any I'll let you know. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Can you not just drag and drop them into the order you want on the visualisations pane? 

I wish but the columns cannot be manually moved

Sorry - overlooked the whole fact it was one column, you could create another column that gives a value to each rate and then 'Sort by' that? 

twofingertyper_0-1711556613252.png

Or you could Group the column and rename and number them so they have a running order (if that's allowed), or add a space at the front of each new 'group' which will push it up the order. 

I tried creating a new column that ranks each of the Rate Types 1-3 and then sorting by that column, but that doesn't seem to be working either.  Any other suggestions??

Odd, if I use a Power Query I can then add an Index column and the alter the number associated with the column entries so that I can move them around as needed. 

It does depend on how your data is set-up though (in my example, I have a look-up table for the values that are your column headers), similar to the example given here: https://endjin.com/blog/2020/07/quick-tip-updating-the-sort-order-of-a-column-in-power-bi

There might be other ways to do it (as I mentioned above, you can 'cheat' and right click on the data field and set it as a 'New Group' that will allow to alter the names into a different running order, and then have that as your column header) and if I think of any I'll let you know. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.