Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rank seasons points across all seasons.

Hi all,

I have a simple model of English Premier Legaue games.

A fact table with a line per game.

Dimensions a Calendar - with all dates and a season attribute.

At the  moment I have a visualisation of a table as below and use

Season Rank =
If(HASONEVALUE('Home Team'[Team]),RANKX(ALL('Home Team'[Team]), [Total Point per Team]), Blank())

How do I get overall rank? Thanks

Season Points Season Rank Team Overall Rank
2017 -18 100 1 Man City ?      1
2018 - 19 98 1 Man City ?2
2018 - 19 97 2 Liverpool ?3
2016 - 17 93 1 Chelsea ?4

8 REPLIES 8
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous 

Give this a try.

Overall Rank = 
VAR _table = 
CALCULATETABLE(
    SUMMARIZE('Home Team','Home Team'[Team],Dates[Season]),ALL(Dates),ALL('Home Team'))
RETURN
If(HASONEVALUE('Home Team'[Team]),RANKX(_table, [Total Point per Team]), Blank())

jdbuchanan71_0-1594065951023.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks  - I got this error thoughAnnotation 2020-07-07 200033.pngData Model.png

I also tried 

CALCULATETABLE(
ADDCOLUMNS(CROSSJOIN(ALL('Home Team'[Team]),ALL('Date'[Season])), "Points" , [Total Point per Team]),ALL('Date'),ALL('Home Team'))

which does produce at least a table in the model with the summarized data. Any help greatly appreciated. Could it be my measure works differantly to a simple sum?  Thanks

I think that is because the Date table is not joined to the Home Team table.  Try this.

Overall Rank = 
VAR _table = 
CALCULATETABLE(
    SUMMARIZE('Fixtures','Fixtures'[Team],Dates[Season]),ALL(Dates),ALL('Fixtures'))
RETURN
If(HASONEVALUE('Home Team'[Team]),RANKX(_table, [Total Point per Team]), Blank())

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Still not quite right. I am getting 1 for all rows now. The other all gave the same as the season rank? Your image sugegsted you gad it working in a model you have?

Thankyou

I did but it was just a sample that I discarded.  Can you share your .pbix file?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the late reply - I only have permissions on onedrive to share with internal or maybe an email address. Are there are alternatives I could use on this site? Thanks very much for your help.

You can create a DropBox account for free and put it there then share the link.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks hopefully you can  see this .

The table visual is on the last tab , and the last column in the table was the attempt to get the overall rank. Rather than rank per season which works.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.