Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

CAPEconsulting
Helper III
Helper III

RANKXX Issues

I have multiple data tables in a relationship like 

Relationships.JPG

Then on my dashboard I have the following set up

Dashboard 1.JPG 

The chart at the bottom is juts the values.

And the column chart in the middle is a rank based chart that uses 2 meaures: -

1. RankingH SA3 = SUM('SA3-MH Care'[Value])

2. Rank SA3 = RANKX(ALLSELECTED('SA3-MH Care'), [RankingH SA3],,DESC,Skip)

All works well.

However when I make a selection of a region, the bottom chart filters through to the correct small areas and shows the right data.

But the ranking chart does not filter down to the right areas and apart from the right areas all areas have the same rannking

Dashboard 2.JPG

On scrolling to the right you see that the right areas are being ranked but why are the other areas not getting filtered out ?? and why are they being ranked?

Dashboard 3.JPG

Any advise guys??

Also any ideas for doing clever visualisation of rankings???

Abhijeet

8 REPLIES 8
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

I'm wondering why you don't wrap both measures in the CALCULATE( ... function), this could explain why something isn't filtered as you expect.

Hope this already helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens

Thanks for the reply, but that did not make any difference....

Abhijeet

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having a slightly hard time reading the relationship diagram, but ... it looks like sa3byphn isn't sa3-mh care... and therefore slicing on phname isn't impacting?

Hi @Anonymous

Does the attached make it clear

Capture.JPG

@CAPEconsulting,

Is the  RankingH SA3 measure filtered correctly by PHNName? Would you mind sharing the sample data of your tables or PBIX file for us to analyze?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft Cant share the file publocally. Is ther a way to PM it to you.

@v-yuezhe-msft @Anonymous @TomMartens

I have changed my DAX measure as 

Rank SA3 = IF(HASONEVALUE('SA3-MH Care'[Value]), RANKX(ALLSELECTED('SA3-MH Care'[Name]), CALCULATE([RankingH SA3], ALL(PHN[PHNName])),,DESC,Skip))

Now the filtering works all perfectly but I want the ranks to be ranks acros all smalelr areas not just across the areas that are filtered. WHat am I missing?

Hey,

I've to admit that I'm not fully understand your model, for this reason I can just some general considerations.

Each calculation (measure) uses the underlying filtered rows (the table is filtered by selections in all slicers and also by row and column headers), this concept or "universal truth" is called Filter Context

Using CALCULATE(<expression>) applies the current selections (slicers, columns, headers) to the table and calculates the expression.

Sometimes this is exactly what you need, e.g. caluculating the sum of a numeric column in a table.

But sometimes you have to expand the table or furthe reduce (this is how I think about dax statements: do I have to expand or reduce the rows of the table before my calculation can be applied).

If you say "not just the areas that are filtered" means you have to expand the rows, this can be achieved by using ALL.

Maybe you have to try something like this

RANKX(
CALCULATETABLE('your table',
  ALL('your table'[column one you want to ignore]),
  ALL('your table'[column two you want to ignore]),
  ALL(...)
),
)

Hope this helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.