Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jmg80525
Helper I
Helper I

Publishing directly to Teams team workspace

Trying out the ability to integrate PBI reports into Teams.  I can add the PBI tab and bring in reports without a problem.  I follow the best practice of having a single certified dataset upon which to build multiple reports using the Live Connection.  I connect to Power BI dataset from that workspace.  Now I want to publish a report to a Teams workspace.  As mentioned above, I can bring in existing reports into a Teams channel.  Seems like the best practice would be to store the report in the same Teams workspace; thereby anyone participating in the team should automatically have a viewer role in that workspace.  Correct?  I am not the owner of the Team, I participate as a Member.  In Teams, one can only be the owner or a member.

WHen I go to publish from PBI Desktop I cannot see the Teams team workspace; just PBI workspace are shown.  Is this by desing or I am missing something?  Oddly, in the PBI service I can navigate to the Teams workspace and utilize the Get Data function so as a Member of the Teams team workspace I can add content, I just can't publish from PBI Desktop.

One more addendum.  So I now see from the Teams team workspace in the PBI service page I can click on Get Data and at the bottom is the heaser "Build on existing datasets" with a link below for "Published datasets".  When I click on that it just hangs.  As a test I replicated the same actions from a non-Teams workpace and it loaded the available datasets just fine.  

3 REPLIES 3
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jmg80525 ,

If you make sense, can you please accept the helpful answers as solution? More people who have the same question will benefit from this thread. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jmg80525 

You are right, Is this by desing and you are not missing something.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

Hi @jmg80525 ,

Teams workspaces (classic workspaces) are going to retire.

Use a modern workspace and authorize the teams / office group to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2PAL4D2SvU

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/de-de/blog/announcing-you-can-now-block-classic-workspace-creation/

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.