Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

to_be_calm
Helper I
Helper I

Problem: A circular dependency was detected." How could I solve it?

Hello everyone,

Under this wetransfer link you can download the pbix-file I am talking about or with which I am stuck: https://we.tl/t-K5EEhSiiu2?src=dnl 

In this pbix-file there is a main table called „Data“, which consists of a date column, a column called „costs in euro“ and a column „Article_no“.

Then there is a currency table which, consists of a column with a date from which the certain conversion rate is valid and there are two columns which describe from which to which currency it has to be converted.

Getting the right currency conversion rate depending on the certain date already works. This I created with two measures with the help of the very helpful user @Jihwan_Kim. The relationships of the tables you see in the pbix-file. 

The only problem I am facing right now is , that I can not create a custom column in the table “Data”, which is called „filtered_converted_costs“ which only consists of converted costs per row for certain article numbers of the column „Article_no“. So with the DAX code of the custom column the costs should be converted based on certain article numbers of the column „Article_no“. So like filtering.

The DAX code would be the following:

„filtered_converted_costs = IF ('mainTable'[Article_no] = 20 or 'mainTable'[Article_no]=30 or 'mainTable'[Article_no]=11, 'mainTable'[converted_Cost],Blank())“

So with that DAX I should have only values when the article numbers have the defined values otherwise null. However, I get the following error message: “A circular dependency was detected." How could I solve it or do you guys know a thread on PowerBI community which describes my problem? I nearly searched on the internet the whole day yesterday. Thanks in advance.

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your question.

Please check the below pictures whether those are what you are looking for.

If the slicer is created like the below, I think this is the easiest way to achieve it.

Picture3.png

If the new column is needed, I think only one column per one currency can be created, like below.

Picture4.png

The sample pbix file's link is down below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8y21c060trmjffp/CurrencyConversion_example.pbix?dl=0 

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your question.

Please check the below pictures whether those are what you are looking for.

If the slicer is created like the below, I think this is the easiest way to achieve it.

Picture3.png

If the new column is needed, I think only one column per one currency can be created, like below.

Picture4.png

The sample pbix file's link is down below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8y21c060trmjffp/CurrencyConversion_example.pbix?dl=0 

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.