Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Privacy in PowerBI: do not show charts when N<7

Hi,

I have a question regarding the implementation of certain privacy guarantees in a report that I am creating. I am mostly working with self-reported data, and I am using slicers (like gender, age, seniority, etc.) to enable my users to do meaningful analyses on the data. However, to protect the privacy of the respondents, I would like to prevent the users of my report to use the slicers in such a way that they can create groups that are smaller than 7 respondents (because in that case, there might be a risk of identifying these respondents). For example; if there are only 6 male respondents under the age of 25 with a seniority of over 3 years, I would like to prevent the user to actually see the charts when he tries to create this combination with the slicer, and provide him instead with an alert asking him to adjust his selection. I have been googling and looking into the documentation that I found, but I have not really found much information on how to do this. Does anyone have any leads on how I could do this? I know that it should be possible because I have seen it once before in an existing report, I have tried to contact the creator of this report but unfortunately cannot reach him...

Thanks in advance!

Hanne

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Anonymous ,

I got a workaround to your problem. I have created currently an example for one chart on 'EAP - Optie 1' tab. You can use the same for other charts as well. The bottom right LINE chart will show the difference when count is < 7.

Please use the following link to download the updated .pbix file:

https://we.tl/t-9vALF3twkN

I have created a measure "IS Valid Group" in table "OrigineleData".

In order for this measure to work around all your visuals coming from different tables, try checking your relationships.

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11 

Thank you so much for this solution! To make sure it works on all our visuals, we will indeed have to check the relationships, but it does work on all visuals that are directly based on 'OrigineleData'

Kind regards,

Hanne

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

HI @Anonymous ,

Is it possible for you share your .pbix file?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11 

Here my file (based on test data):

https://we.tl/t-r9uhBRD0Fz

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hanne

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for sharing .pbix file. This report contains a lot of tabs.

Which Tab refers to the query that you have highlighted?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11 

I would like to apply this functionality on all the tabs in the report...

Hanne

Hi @Anonymous ,

Actually the language on the dashboard confuses me.

You will have to give some description around your data. What is the GROUP, RESPONDENTS you are refrerring to in your question.

It's hard to understand your requirement.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11 

You are right, if you have a different native language this is probably hard to understand, my apologies.

Perhaps for the sake of this exercise, let's take tab 'EAP - Optie 1'

On the left of this tab, you see the different slicers: 'departement', 'gender' and 'leeftijd'(=age). You also see a card 'aantal deelnemers' which displays the number of survey participants that are included in the graphs. If this number becomes lower than 7, I would like the charts that are displayed on the center of this page (the 4 bar charts and the line chart) to become invisible or unreadable, and show an alert instead, something like 'the group you created is smaller than 7 respondents. Please adjust your filters'.

For example, when you select '3' under department and 'male' under gender, you can see that 'Aantal deelnemers' is only 5. This is one of the situations in which I would like to hide the charts somehow.

Hanne

Hi @Anonymous ,

I got a workaround to your problem. I have created currently an example for one chart on 'EAP - Optie 1' tab. You can use the same for other charts as well. The bottom right LINE chart will show the difference when count is < 7.

Please use the following link to download the updated .pbix file:

https://we.tl/t-9vALF3twkN

I have created a measure "IS Valid Group" in table "OrigineleData".

In order for this measure to work around all your visuals coming from different tables, try checking your relationships.

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11 

Thank you so much for this solution! To make sure it works on all our visuals, we will indeed have to check the relationships, but it does work on all visuals that are directly based on 'OrigineleData'

Kind regards,

Hanne

Hi @Anonymous ,

That's really good to know.

I will appreciate if you can mark my post as a solution to your query. 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.