Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Prior Year Sales by Month Based on Financial Month

Hi All,

I am new to the forum so let's try this 🙂

I have been using DAX for some time now but I am struggling with this scenario:

The client's Financial Months run from the 25th to the 26th in the next month, as example the month of April sales will run from 25 March to 26 April.

This I managed to group together to aquire the correct sales data but when I start comparing to Prior Year and Prior 2 Years using the DATEADD formula it gives error stating that the dates need be in continuous flow; hence starting from the 1st till the last day of the month in question.

The figures will change based on the financial year chosen in the filter.

I hope this was enough information.

Please can someone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-piga-msft @Ashish_Mathur ,

I managed to get it right last night I created a few calculated coloumns below is how I managed to get it right>>

1. I created a new grouping months column based on date to get the financial months in order

Financial Month =
FORMAT (
DATE ( 2010, IF (
MONTH ( [Date] ) = 2,
MONTH ( [Date] ),
IF (
AND ( DAY ( [Date] ) > 25, DAY ( [Date] ) <= 31 ),
MONTH ( [Date] ) + 1,
MONTH ( [Date] )
)
), 1 ),
"MMMM"
)

2. I created a month sort so that the months are aligned from March to Feb

=VAR FYStartMonth = 3 //Update the fiscal year starting month above *Use number between 1 to 12
RETURN
IF (
IF(
AND(DAY([Date])>25,DAY([Date])<=31),MONTH([Date])+1,MONTH([Date])) >= FYStartMonth,
IF(
AND(DAY([Date])>25,DAY([Date])<=31),MONTH([Date])+1,MONTH([Date])) - ( FYStartMonth - 1 ),
+ (
IF(
AND(DAY([Date])>25,DAY([Date])<=31),MONTH([Date])+1,MONTH([Date])) - ( FYStartMonth - 1 )
)
)

Then it worked perfectly, was a bit tricky but yes works great with the SAMEPERIODASLASTYEAR or even PARALLELPERIOD formula.

Very tricky but yes Power BI once again succeeds!

Thank You

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share some data and show the expected result.  Also, what is their Financial year?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

I still have a little confused about your scenario. Please let me know more details.

Do you have a Calendar table? Is your date continuous?

If it is convenient, could you share some data sample which could reproduce your scenario and your desired output so that we could help further on it? Or, ideally, share the pbix (beware of confidential data)

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-piga-msft @Ashish_Mathur ,

I managed to get it right last night I created a few calculated coloumns below is how I managed to get it right>>

1. I created a new grouping months column based on date to get the financial months in order

Financial Month =
FORMAT (
DATE ( 2010, IF (
MONTH ( [Date] ) = 2,
MONTH ( [Date] ),
IF (
AND ( DAY ( [Date] ) > 25, DAY ( [Date] ) <= 31 ),
MONTH ( [Date] ) + 1,
MONTH ( [Date] )
)
), 1 ),
"MMMM"
)

2. I created a month sort so that the months are aligned from March to Feb

=VAR FYStartMonth = 3 //Update the fiscal year starting month above *Use number between 1 to 12
RETURN
IF (
IF(
AND(DAY([Date])>25,DAY([Date])<=31),MONTH([Date])+1,MONTH([Date])) >= FYStartMonth,
IF(
AND(DAY([Date])>25,DAY([Date])<=31),MONTH([Date])+1,MONTH([Date])) - ( FYStartMonth - 1 ),
+ (
IF(
AND(DAY([Date])>25,DAY([Date])<=31),MONTH([Date])+1,MONTH([Date])) - ( FYStartMonth - 1 )
)
)

Then it worked perfectly, was a bit tricky but yes works great with the SAMEPERIODASLASTYEAR or even PARALLELPERIOD formula.

Very tricky but yes Power BI once again succeeds!

Thank You

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.