Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Preview Sharepoint pptx file in the browser using the URL

I have a test.jpg and test.pptx file in the same SharePoint location. The content of the both the files are same.

Below are the file paths for both file.

https://cornerstoneperf.sharepoint.com/sites/AA/SharedDocuments/General/BB/test.jpg

https://cornerstoneperf.sharepoint.com/sites/AA/SharedDocuments/General/BB/test.pptx

Now I have created excel table.First Column is File tyoe name.Second column name is Link. Got this data to PBI desktop and changed the data type of Link column to Web URL.

Then I visualize this on a table. When I click on the jpg Link it opens a tab in browser and I can see the jpg from it.

But When I click the link of pptx file it does not open up a tab in browser and preview it. Instead of previewing it ,the file is downloading.

1 ) What is the reason for different behavior for 2 file types.

2) I need to view the sharepoint pptx file in the browser as we can do from jpg file. How to avoid this downloading and preview from browser.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The Sharepoint pptx file can view in browser directly without downloading as tested in my side. The following is my test details:

1. prepare two sharepoint files(image and Powerpoint file)

yingyinr_3-1613022272727.png

2. Create report (set the category of these two online files as Web URL)

yingyinr_1-1613022016267.png

3. Publish the report to Power BI Service and click the related file URL

yingyinr_2-1613022135989.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mate,Appreciate your effort.Yes this method is valid approach.But my main pain points is to keep the Link Dynamically enter.When you generate that sharable link you would get some random link,where you cannot predict before hand.That means if you have 1000 pptx files you would need to anually copy and paste each links and put into the data model,which is inefficient.So can you exlain either you can predict this link or using the pathitself can we avoid downloading.Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.