Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

B_kaydo
Frequent Visitor

Prevent power bi from copy paste dax formulas when clicking on column columns

Hello everyone,

I have noticed that in the "Tables" panel, when I click on a created column PowerBi seems to copy it and if I click on another created column, it pastes it on another column. The issue happens whenever I click on a  column created by a formula, be it a table or a column.

It only happens when I click on the column, not when I select it in right panel, is it a normal feature ? Is there a way to turn it off ?

If it feels unclear let me know.

Thanks for the help

4 REPLIES 4
WPP

I have the same issue. It's incredibly annoying as I have to close (without saving) the file en reopen it because I cannot undo the 'paste' and whatever DAX was supposed to be in the column is gone. 
I hope this is fixed soon as it has been going on for a while. 

B_kaydo
Frequent Visitor

The sole solution I have at the moment is to press "Esc" everytime I select a column to prevent the copying but if I ever forget it I risk losing the formulas

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @B_kaydo ,

I hope this message finds you well. I understand that you’re encountering an issue where the formula from a previously created calculated column seems to be copied when you create a new one. 

To assist you effectively, could you please provide a detailed step-by-step description of the process you’re following, ideally accompanied by a .gif illustrating the issue? This will help me understand the problem more clearly and guide you to a solution. Additionally, knowing the version of your Power BI Desktop could be crucial in diagnosing the issue accurately.

Thank you for reaching out, and I look forward to your response.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-yiruan-msft  sorry for the late answer
I will post printscreen of what I do/what I see, hope it will make it clearer :

I am in the table panel, selecting a column :

B_kaydo_0-1712062941626.png

I then select another column that I created, here it is "profit amount"

B_kaydo_1-1712062990740.png

Now, if I just select the column to the left of the one I selected, here is what I see :

B_kaydo_2-1712063055036.png

To translate, the box says that I can rename my column, as there is already a column with this name.

Just clicking the header has selected the whole formula and copy it, and if I click on another column it pastes it automatically, in the case of columns it doesn't overwite the formula, but for created tables it does if I am not careful

PowerBiCapture.gif

I also share a gif, hope it makes it clearer

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.