Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

michaelhowes25
Regular Visitor

PowerBI to Dropbox Integration

Hi PBI community, 

I am looking for a solution whereby I can access the data that drives my PowerBI reports via Dropbox, and not via the file path I currently have set to access Dropbox on my local folder 'C://Users:micha\' (as I am currently doing).

The reason for this is so that other PowerBI users at the company can use and refresh these reports by having access to files managed on the Dropbox - they obviously have different local file directories so could not feasibly use the same path as me. 

I need a solution where the Dropbox folders can be accessed from multiple users - something that will require an API. I'm wondering if you'd have any advice or ideas on how best we might do this?

I've found some support online (https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/06/25/import-multiple-files-dropbox-folder-powerbi-excel-via-pow...) that looks a very helpful post and I thought would help, but the code returns an error for me. 

Capture.JPG

I think there may be some added complexity here in comparison with the example above, in terms of accessing the data via Dropbox business credentials. 

Any help would be so appreciated.

thanks,
Michael
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes, the dropbox approach would only work with files/folders that are shared publicly.  Can you consider alternatives like Sharepoint?

View solution in original post

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@michaelhowes25 
There is a way to connect to drop box with ODBC, see if helps:
Publish Real-Time Dropbox Data to PowerBI.com (cdata.com)

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@michaelhowes25 
There is a way to connect to drop box with ODBC, see if helps:
Publish Real-Time Dropbox Data to PowerBI.com (cdata.com)

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes, the dropbox approach would only work with files/folders that are shared publicly.  Can you consider alternatives like Sharepoint?

Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, I think Sharepoint / OneDrive Business is probably the best solution... thanks, Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.