Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Rangapbi
Regular Visitor

PowerBI not taking decimal values

Hi,

When I am adding decimal values in data source(MS excel) power bi not takinhg it as it is(0.4,0.5,0.6 etc..) giving only 0.

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rangapbi

Go into the Query Editor and make sure that for your column the dataset is changed to either Decimal Number or Fixed Decimal

Due to the way the Query Editor works with a sample of the first 100 rows if there are no decimals it might defaulted it to a Whole Number.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

prateekraina
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Rangapbi,

Issue is in the excel. Check the format of the column.

I have tested this scenario in my local machine, i have got the values in Power BI as it is in excel.

Answer 4.PNG

Thanks !!

Hi Pratheek,

Format is fine,once we create a report with the data it shows values correctly but when we update the sheet it is not reflecting.

Make sure that you have an explicit query step that sets the data type to decimal. Format in the report is not enough. Even if the column looks like a decimal in the query editor, that is not enough. You need to put in a step that actually sets the column's data type to decimal. This has to be done in the query editor.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you so much! Was messing around with it for 30 minutes before I came across your response. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.