Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jhhu

Power query editor: index column and duplicate table

Hi!

If I add an index column to my table in query editor and then create a duplicate of that table, can I be sure that the indexing will always be coherent between the two tables?

Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve, if it helps to understand the situation:

in the original table I have data like this:

Event                     Start date                    End date                      Index

abc                         1/1/2018                       1/3/2018                      1

def                          1/6/2018                       1/7/2018                      2

In the duplicate table I will then organize the data a bit differently:

Event                     Start date                    End date                      Index                    Dates

abc                         1/1/2018                       1/3/2018                      1                            1/1/2018

abc                         1/1/2018                       1/3/2018                      1                            1/2/2018

abc                         1/1/2018                       1/3/2018                      1                            1/3/2018

def                          1/6/2018                       1/7/2018                      2                            1/6/2018 

def                          1/6/2018                       1/7/2018                      2                            1/7/2018

(If you're interested how this is done, here's the link: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Getting-all-dates-between-2-dates/td-p/60577)

There can be multiple events with the same name, so I need the index column to create a relationship between these two tables.

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If you are using the Table.ExpandListColumn function then the index will stay the same and be copied as many times as the dates between start date and end date

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jhhu

Hi!

If I add an index column to my table in query editor and then create a duplicate of that table, can I be sure that the indexing will always be coherent between the two tables?

Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve, if it helps to understand the situation:

in the original table I have data like this:

Event                     Start date                    End date                      Index

abc                         1/1/2018                       1/3/2018                      1

def                          1/6/2018                       1/7/2018                      2

In the duplicate table I will then organize the data a bit differently:

Event                     Start date                    End date                      Index                    Dates

abc                         1/1/2018                       1/3/2018                      1                            1/1/2018

abc                         1/1/2018                       1/3/2018                      1                            1/2/2018

abc                         1/1/2018                       1/3/2018                      1                            1/3/2018

def                          1/6/2018                       1/7/2018                      2                            1/6/2018 

def                          1/6/2018                       1/7/2018                      2                            1/7/2018

(If you're interested how this is done, here's the link: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Getting-all-dates-between-2-dates/td-p/60577)

There can be multiple events with the same name, so I need the index column to create a relationship between these two tables.

Thanks for any help!

Hi @jhhu,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @jhhu

If I understand your requirement correctly that you want to create the relationship for the two tables?

If it is, by my tests, you could create the one to many relationship with index like below.

relationships.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If you are using the Table.ExpandListColumn function then the index will stay the same and be copied as many times as the dates between start date and end date

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.