Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gerard-kouadio
Frequent Visitor

Power BI updates

Hello,

I work in a folder where I have my excel file and power bi file. when i build graphs and reports on power bi file and if change the data in my excel file and update my power bi reports, it updates. things going well.

But when i copy the folder in which we have (excel file + power bi file) and put that elsewhere, my pbix file is always connected to the preview excel file. How can i change to connect that to the excel file where they sit together?

The solution of this problem can help me for and other one: if i send my excel and pbix file to my frend or to and other computer, if he changes the data in excel file, and update the power bi graph, it will not updates. i want to know to manage that. 

thank you for your help and sorry for my english. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gerard-kouadio ,

//How can i change to connect that to the excel file where they sit together?

You can modify the location of the data source here. When the folder is moved, the path here will not be updated, you need to manually update the path of the excel file.

vcgaomsft_0-1655691137943.png

vcgaomsft_1-1655691196524.png

When sharing with others, you can choose to export the file as a Power BI template, and when you first open it, you're prompted for the location of the underlying data associated with the report.

vcgaomsft_2-1655691531870.png

Create and use report templates in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gerard-kouadio
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much. it's perfect !

v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gerard-kouadio ,

//How can i change to connect that to the excel file where they sit together?

You can modify the location of the data source here. When the folder is moved, the path here will not be updated, you need to manually update the path of the excel file.

vcgaomsft_0-1655691137943.png

vcgaomsft_1-1655691196524.png

When sharing with others, you can choose to export the file as a Power BI template, and when you first open it, you're prompted for the location of the underlying data associated with the report.

vcgaomsft_2-1655691531870.png

Create and use report templates in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Hello, I will be happy if you help me again. 

I'm working on a dataset with a column containing the names of several organizations. The idea is to build a global dashboard and give access to each association to consult only its data. There are graphs showing the results of all the organizations at the same time, but I have anonymized so that one organization cannot recognize the data of the other.

From (Modeling then Manage Roles then View As), I can give access to each organization to view only its data. The problem is that if an organization imports the report from power bi service and opens it on its PC computer (locally), it will be able to have access to the advanced editor and see how I have anonymized the data and therefore will be able to have access to all data. how to restrict access to the advanced editor or if there are other solutions, thank you for sharing them with me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.