Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI service live connected dataset states desktop .pbix is "corrupt" or "invalid report file"

Hello

This is my first time posting, so I hope I have posted my question in the correct area.

I am having issues re-opening a .pbix file in desktop. The .pbix is live connected to a dataset (as described in the Microsoft Docs page Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop) on my organisation's Power BI Pro service but when I try to open it a dialog box from desktop states the file is "corrupt or an invalid report file". Could anyone advise if there is something obvious I have missed, or is this an issue that cannot be fixed?

I created the original dataset and published it to a workspace on my organisations Power BI Pro service (let's call it master_data.pbix). I then created a new report (report_1.pbix) using desktop, linking to the dataset published on the service. I saved report_1.pbix on a SharePoint space, and published it to the service (same workspace as master_data.pbix). I then closed the desktop file. When I tried to open the report_1.pbix in desktop from the SharePoint space a dialog box appeared stating report_1.pbix is "corrupt or an invalid report file".

I am able to access the published version of report_1 on the service, and it appears to link correctly to master_data.pbix, and does not appear to be either corrupt or invalid. I am wanting to use desktop to edit report_1.pbix (i.e. not the more limited editing options on the service) and publish the updated version of report_1.pbix to the service. However this issue is preventing me from opening it in desktop at all.

Is it maybe an issue with authorising desktop to access the dataset on the service (maybe an authorisation setting I have not yet found)? I had a look on the serivce and on the desktop settings and could not find anything obvious to change. I am also logged into my Power BI Pro account within desktop.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Iain 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Have you updated the desktop version to the latest August update?

If yes, that can be an issue that many users are facing because of the update having some bug.

You can download previous month's updated desktop from here and try opening your file here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive#july-2020-update-2835894661

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Are you using a streaming dataset?

Try creating a report on PBI Service then download it to desktop for editing..

Did I resolve your issue? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!

Regards,

Pranit

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion @pranit828.

Yes the dataset is streaming (i.e. on the PBI service). I've tried your suggestion, but downloading the .pbix of the report (using 'File', 'Download Report (Preview)') appears to download a unique copy of the dataset (i.e. not maintaining a a live link with the dataset on the PBI service). I'm concerned this will create a data silo, and I'm trying to avoid data silos!

Do you know if there is a way to create a report on the PBI service that means a downloaded .pbix will maintain a live link (and not download a dulicate of the dataset)?

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Have you updated the desktop version to the latest August update?

If yes, that can be an issue that many users are facing because of the update having some bug.

You can download previous month's updated desktop from here and try opening your file here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive#july-2020-update-2835894661

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anand24, I am using the desktop version avialable through the Microsoft App Store (so I assume it has automatically updated).

I will give your suggestion a try (and then update this post) when I have time to uninstall the current version and install the July 2020 version.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.