Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mimimaud

Power BI distinguish several data in a same Excel's box

Hello everyone!

I'm really a beginner in Power BI and I hope I'm not repeating a question already posted.

I'm currently building a customer database for my company on Excel and using Power BI for visualization. I need to classify customers by domain and product type. However, most customers belong to several domains and produce several products. In Excel, I have written the different fields/products in the same area, separated by a ",". When I'm in Power BI, I want all the customers in a field to appear when I select a field.

To explain it better, it's like having a list of pizza ingredients and wanting to know which pizza contains which type of ingredient.

How can I get Power BI to distinguish between the different pieces of information in the same box? Or how can I create a list and select several choices in Excel?

I don't want to create several lines as this would distort the total number of companies.

Thank you very much for your reply!

1 REPLY 1
mlsx4
Super User
Super User

Hi @mimimaud 

I would recommend you to use Power Query to do transformations if you can. First, divide by separator "," and then when you have multiple columns, select the original ones and click on Unpivot other columns (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/unpivot-columns-power-query-0f7bad4b-9ea1-49c1-9d95-f5882...)

That is, if you have a table with two columns Customer and Products. First divide by "," Product column. You will get something like: Customer Products.1 Products.2 Products.3... Once your table is in this way, select Customer and click on Unpivot other columns.

With this solution, you avoid getting messy with Dax or complex selector...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.