Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Superskully
Regular Visitor

Power BI connecting to SharePoint List defaulting to Anonymous

Hi, seems there are always issue with Power BI and Sharepoint List online (SPL).

While i have read that sometimes you have to change the permissions in Global settings, the challenge is when establishing a new connection it does not provide any option.

So i am trying to connect to a new online SPL (have done this before), but keeps giving the "access to resource is forbidden", which i assume its trying to connect to it anonymously. But i cant change the way it signs in!

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Superskully ,

In your scenario, This maybe a permission/authentication error. When you ever connect to  data source in an unauthorized account, the corresponding credential would be created.  Please firstly go to File->Options and Settings->Data Source Settings->Global permissions in Power BI Desktop and clear permissions for stored SharePoint data source.

After that, you may connect to SharePoint online data using SharePoint Online List connector and use the URL below,  choose organizational account method in Power BI Desktop. See more details: Use SharePoint Online List As A Data Source In Power BI .

https://xxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/<sitename>

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Superskully ,

In your scenario, This maybe a permission/authentication error. When you ever connect to  data source in an unauthorized account, the corresponding credential would be created.  Please firstly go to File->Options and Settings->Data Source Settings->Global permissions in Power BI Desktop and clear permissions for stored SharePoint data source.

After that, you may connect to SharePoint online data using SharePoint Online List connector and use the URL below,  choose organizational account method in Power BI Desktop. See more details: Use SharePoint Online List As A Data Source In Power BI .

https://xxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/<sitename>

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, so i think the trick it deafaults to a previous connection from SP, and it could by any of the connections on the Global list

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.