Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI : Filters in What-If parameter

I have a table with multiple company data and having company_id column in it. I want to show the slider with the maximum value of selected company_id for ranking feature to the report.

I have created a measure to calculate count for the maximum value of the selected company.

Measures:

Max Value = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(SOURCE_TABLE[Company_Name]),FILTER(SOURCE_TABLE,SOURCE_TABLE[Company_id]=SELECTEDVALUE(SOURCE_TABLE[Company_id])))

But when I try to use this for What-if parameter in ranking feature getting below error,

What-if Parameter:

TopRank = GENERATESERIES(1,[Max Value], 1)

Error Code:

The arguments in GenerateSeries function cannot be blank.

When I use DISTINCTCOUNT function it works fine, but with FILTER it had an issue.

-- This is working fine

TopRank = GENERATESERIES(1,DISTINCTCOUNT(SOURCE_TABLE[Company_Name]), 1) 

How can I get the value of DISTINCTCOUNT with FILTER? Any ideas will be appreciated.!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As you know, the What-If parameter is a kind of calculated table and the calculated table are computed during the database processing , then stored in the model. While the What-If parameter is generating, the value of [Max Value] is always Blank, 

So In your scenario, we cannot make the What-If Parameter dynamically. Even you use the following formula to avoid Max Value be blank, the table of TopRank will be also constant from 1 to DISTINCTCOUNT ( SOURCE_TABLE[Company_Name] ).

Max Value =
VAR result =
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( SOURCE_TABLE[Company_Name] ),
        FILTER (
            SOURCE_TABLE,
            SOURCE_TABLE[Company_id] = SELECTEDVALUE ( SOURCE_TABLE[Company_id] )
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( result = BLANK (), DISTINCTCOUNT ( SOURCE_TABLE[Company_Name] ), result )

But if you are using the List Slicer, we can use a measure in Visual Filter as a workaround

FilterMax =
IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( TopRank[Value] ) <= [Max Value], 1, -1 )

2.PNG

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As you know, the What-If parameter is a kind of calculated table and the calculated table are computed during the database processing , then stored in the model. While the What-If parameter is generating, the value of [Max Value] is always Blank, 

So In your scenario, we cannot make the What-If Parameter dynamically. Even you use the following formula to avoid Max Value be blank, the table of TopRank will be also constant from 1 to DISTINCTCOUNT ( SOURCE_TABLE[Company_Name] ).

Max Value =
VAR result =
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( SOURCE_TABLE[Company_Name] ),
        FILTER (
            SOURCE_TABLE,
            SOURCE_TABLE[Company_id] = SELECTEDVALUE ( SOURCE_TABLE[Company_id] )
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( result = BLANK (), DISTINCTCOUNT ( SOURCE_TABLE[Company_Name] ), result )

But if you are using the List Slicer, we can use a measure in Visual Filter as a workaround

FilterMax =
IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( TopRank[Value] ) <= [Max Value], 1, -1 )

2.PNG

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Is the first variable returns blank in any case?

Then, in that case, use if(_var =blank(),1,_var)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.