Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Desktop Model refresh error

Hello Community,

Good evening!

I get the following error message when i try to publish my datamodel in PowerBI desktop.

Error:

The amount of uncompressed data on the gateway client has exceeded the limit of 10 GB for a single table.Please consider reducing the use of highly repetitive string values through normalised keys,removing unused columns ,upgrading to Power BI premium

I use import mode to load the view in my Power BI desktop.

Following are the table size as example 

PowerBI Login Table : 7012288KB

fact 1 :3783384 KB

fact2 : 227016 KB

I have a few other fact table and dimension with less data.

I tried to calculate the total size of my current data and it is approximately 17 GB

I have PowerBI Pro licence.

Is that the only way is to upgrade to Premium licence or let me know if there is an alternate way?

Thanks in advance

Krithiga

2 REPLIES 2
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If my above post helps, could you please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. thanks!

Best regards,

Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

The maximum size for datasets imported into the Power BI service is 1 GB. These datasets are heavily compressed to ensure high performance. In addition, in shared capacity, the service places a limit on the amount of uncompressed data that is processed during refresh to 10 GB. This limit accounts for the compression, and therefore is much higher than 1 GB.

Datasets in Power BI Premium are not subject to this limit. If refresh in the Power BI service fails for this reason, please reduce the amount of data being imported to Power BI and try again.

The exact limitation is 10 GB of uncompressed data per table. If you are hitting this issue, there are good options to optimize and avoid the issue. In particular, reducing the use of highly constant, long string values and instead using a normalized key or removing the column (if not in use) helps.

More details please refer to: service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#error-the-received-uncompressed-data-on-the-gateway-client-has-exceede... and refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios#uncompressed-data-limits-for-refresh.

Best regards,

Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.