Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shivam_Kathpal
Frequent Visitor

Potential Security risk - while using source parameters in power bi template

Hi Community, @amitchandak @Idrissshatila @parry2k @Greg_Deckler @Ritaf1983 

I am getting a potential security risk warning while I am opening a template which has used source parameters, to dynamically enter the server and database name.

Error Message:
This file used multiple data sources. Information in one data source might be shared with other data sources without your knowledge. Only open this file if you trust the sender.
Do you want to open the file?

Although I am using only one data source that is Amazon redshift, but still the error says use of multiple data sources, this error does not occur when I get only a single table from redshift in direct query mode.

But when I try to get more than one table from redshift, by using source parameters, then this security warning comes and after reading such security warning no one would like to open the file,

I need your support in solving this error, attaching a screenshot also for the refrence.

Thanks & Regards,

Shivam KathpalScreenshot (19).png

5 REPLIES 5
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

Did you set the data privacy levels for your sources in datasource settings? 

Hi @christinepayton , thanks for the reply,
Our data source is Amazon redshift, so we check this data privacy levels in Redshift or power bi ?
Regards,

Shivam Kathpal

In Power BI - go to datasource settings, then "edit permissions" - it will have a dropdown there that lets you select organizational, public, etc. You will get errors like the above if you're combining different data privacy types. You can also turn off the check for this in Power BI settings under privacy. 

Hi @christinepayton , @MicrosoftLC 
We have applied the steps as you have informed and also changed the privacy settings in 
power bi under option and settings, but that potential security risk message is still occuring.

When we try to get only one table from Redshift or Snowflake then this error does not occur
but when we fetch more than one table from same data source then this potential risk pop up comes, we think power bi is assuming two tables from same data source as different data sources.

If you have any other suggestions then please help.
Thanks,

Is it something that needs to be solved for? It only appears to report editors, and is just a "helpful tip" sort of message, not a blocker, right? I would just ignore it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.