Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KatPL
Frequent Visitor

Populate value for every date using a measure, not a column

Hello,

The source data for my model is Analysis Services - SQL server. The model is connected with live connection, which means IT IS NOT possible for me to create columns. I can only create measures, and this is why I am having issues with my task.

I do have a column with Budget values for every month, but values are kept only as 1st day of every month (so value is in 01/01/2022 and the rest 02-31/01/2022 are null). I need to populate this value for every date, (so the same value for 01, 02, 03/01/2022 etc...) but using a measure, not a column.

How to create it, so that it can be shown by date ? Is it possibile to create it with measure ?
Having to create it with column means too many formalities - I have to contact local IT so they build that in SQL server itself, I need to create a ticket, they need to test it in test env, etc. Unfortunately I do not have enough time to do this the formal way.

Any chance measure would allow to do it ?

KatPL_0-1664352109762.png

7 REPLIES 7
KatPL
Frequent Visitor

@johnt75 : Unfortunately I am getting below error:

A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.

I tried to put this measure on a Table only with Date as a column.

I am getting similar error whenever I am trying to create any measure that in fact should be a column. 

Probably not the reason, but I will ask anyway: the Date column and Budget Value column are located in different tables - could that be the reason it doesn't work ? 

KatPL_0-1664806552694.png

The budget table has a date too, right? For the first of the month? That column is the one you need to use as the second parameter to LOOKUPVALUE

KatPL
Frequent Visitor

Budget table does not have Date column itself. Budget table is connected with Calendar table, which has Date column. However Budget Value and Date are connected with each other. I do not know by which key exactly, as this is built-in in sql cube directly, which I do not have access to, but I can filter Budget value by Date. Just physically/technically these columns are not in one table. 

I was wondering whether this may be the reason the formula you provided is not working... ? 🤔

KatPL_1-1665056037177.png

If Date is filtering budget then you can probably use a simple MAX('Budget'[Budget value]) and rely on the date from the visual to filter it appropriately.

KatPL
Frequent Visitor

Unfoturantely this also does not work - on a chart this measure still gives me Budget value only for 1st of the month as a one blue point, instead of a blue line with the same value for every day:

BUD Value = MAX(Budget[Budget Value])

KatPL_1-1665060807358.png

Try

BUD Value =
CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Budget table'[BUD Value] ), STARTOFMONTH ( 'Date'[Date] ) )
johnt75
Super User
Super User

Try

Budget Value =
VAR CurrentDate =
    MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR Result =
    LOOKUPVALUE (
        'Table'[Budget],
        'Table'[Date], DATE ( YEAR ( CurrentDate ), MONTH ( CurrentDate ), 1 )
    )
RETURN
    Result

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.