Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

wallace13
Advocate II
Advocate II

Plotting Latitude and Longitude with What-if Values

Hi all,

I'm trying to use What-If parameters to dynamically generate latitude and longitude on a map.   I also want to be able to use Single Value Slicers (What-If Parameters).

However, when I plot the selected value for each I get the following error.

wallace13_0-1660876539119.png

Since these are measures ( SELECTEDVALUE(...) )there is no way to adjust any aggregations.

Does anyone know of anyway I can achieve this?

I've tried a number of approaches and found several dead ends.
- Tried loading the SELECTEDVALUE() measures into a table, however the values don't update if in a true table format and not stored as measures.
- Tried generating my own array of Lat. and Long. from a custom table, and using slicers to pick.  However then I can't use the single value slicer since it isn't a What-IF.  (NOTE:  I cannot access Tabular Editor, locked down IT environment, so the back end customization type fixes to trick the Wizard are not potential solutions for users like me).

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ultimately had to just get Tabular Editor to change the filtering to the way I wanted.

Here are the instructions I followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyv0lDUK2rw

If you are running Tabular Editor 2, you will need to also go into the Tabular editor settings menu to show the extended properties.

File, Preferences, Features > Allow Unsupported Power BI Features

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
wallace13
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi lbendlin,
I want to be able to do two things:

- plot a user defined coordinate point on the map at the set latitude and longitude

- use the user defined latitude and longtitude for other measures (such as for calculating the distance to other points - I already have the measures for this)

Looks like we are already failing at the first hurdle.  The map visuals do not accept measures as data points for latitude and longitude.

lbendlin_0-1661291112102.png

Yes, I was not trying to put the measures in directly, since those won't work.  I was trying to use filters on What-if parameters/generated tables to filter a range of values.  What if parameter fields (the generated values) don't work directly either since it can't determine the relationship between the values even if one is selected:

wallace13_0-1661304830543.png

If you generate table of all the latitidues and longitude you can filter those and get a result, the problem is you can't use the single value slicer, or a search slicer, you can only do dropdown, list, or between/greater than/less than slicer,  None of these slicers are intuitive for picking a point on a map. 

wallace13_1-1661304952858.png

It might be possible to create a measure filter for a plus/minus x range around a location. Or if you want to be fancy, a radius. Would that help?

I ultimately had to just get Tabular Editor to change the filtering to the way I wanted.

Here are the instructions I followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyv0lDUK2rw

If you are running Tabular Editor 2, you will need to also go into the Tabular editor settings menu to show the extended properties.

File, Preferences, Features > Allow Unsupported Power BI Features

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide a more detailed explanation of what you are aiming to achieve. What would you do with the result of these what-if slicers?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.