Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

tom-garvin
Frequent Visitor

Persistent "Included" filters following drill through. (how to clear or reset)

The image below shows the results of a standard drill through operation. The source page passes either Adventure ID (primary key) or a unique Headline. Works exactly as intended. However take a look at the "Included (1) entry. This is the result of a preceding drill where the user clicked a Chiclet Slicer to initiate a cross-filter. When next arriving at this page, no chiclet has been selected and the value of Headline displays as (Blank). It's not really blank, the Included (1) filter simply filters it out. I do not know how I would clear this condition upon entry to the page, as I would for any event-driven environment. My minimal goal would be to find a method to detect the (Blank) condition and replace with a message like "Please select an option". The usual IsBlank test fails because there is a value there, it is just filtered out. (confirmed by going back to the first drill value, and that value has been persisted)

Sticky drillthrough filters.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think that what I was looking for is simply impossible. I tried adding bookmark which would clear the overlapping filter conditions which made the heading (Blank). It looks like drillthrough filters are page-level and are either in effect or cleared. I tried to have the bookmark just reset the filter on the heading, but it did nothing. I'm assuming this is due to page-level filters having been applied. 

In the case you cited, and in the related video, bookmarks are clearly the answer. But clearing them also clears the filter which controls content on the drill through page. I am exploring other options. Let's close this as solved in the sense of proving the original plan is logically impossible. But I did learn a lot.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tom-garvin 

You can create a bookmark to save the page which is  drilled down before "included", then create a button to navigate to the page (button linked to the bookmark of the page with previous filters applied).

You can refer to the following video.

Power BI: Drill through, buttons & clear filters to optimise (with new 2020 button actions) - Bing v...

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank, the referenced video was helpful in answering a different requirement that I had, namely re-purposing a drill through page to open it up. I created a bookmark on the unfiltered page, which allows me to reset the filters applied when drilling through. Great solution for that use-case.

Unfortunately, resetting the page to fix my unwanted (Blank) display resets the filter needed to make the page work. In my high-code days, they used to call this The Programmer's Tango, namely two-steps forward, one step backward. 

Let's keep this thread open and look for other input. If none, I will close it with an Accepted as a 50% Solution. (yep that's an LOL)

Hi @tom-garvin 

I mean, for example, that you have drilled into the Advanced ID section, bookmarked the page, and when you hit the back button, it returns the Advanced ID page that you have filtered.

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I think that what I was looking for is simply impossible. I tried adding bookmark which would clear the overlapping filter conditions which made the heading (Blank). It looks like drillthrough filters are page-level and are either in effect or cleared. I tried to have the bookmark just reset the filter on the heading, but it did nothing. I'm assuming this is due to page-level filters having been applied. 

In the case you cited, and in the related video, bookmarks are clearly the answer. But clearing them also clears the filter which controls content on the drill through page. I am exploring other options. Let's close this as solved in the sense of proving the original plan is logically impossible. But I did learn a lot.

Hi @tom-garvin 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly..

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.