Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bo3736
Frequent Visitor

Permanently deleting data while preserving data derived from deleted content.

Hi, I have a problem related how to permanently delete content from a powerBI dataset while preserving data derived form the dataset. This is for GDPR reasons.

We have a dataset containing information about E-mail including the recipient of the mail. We extract specific information from the recipient field in power query using an if function. The problem is that we are required by GDPR to delete the actual recipient field and certain other fields. I cannot find a way to do that while still preserving the derived columns. I can delete it with a step from the query editor, but access to the file simply allows me to delete that step to restore the data.

Essentially I would like to be able to delete the recipient, sender and content column from below in such a way that I cannot restore them while preserving the columns derived from the recipient column.

Recipient

sender

content

Derived column

toender@kommune.dk

xx@dk

xxx

Kommune

viborg@kommune.dk

xx@dk

xxx

Kommune

Lars@michelsen.dk

xx@dk

xxx

NA

The only solution I can see it to use an external tool (Excel is probably not optimal, but would work) to create  the derived columns and delete the original, but I wonder if there is a way to do it purely from PowerBI

Does anyone know a solution?

Sincerelly Bo Rydeng

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't think Power BI is the answer then, I think you'll need to come up with a solution at the source.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
johnt75
Super User
Super User

One option might be to do it in a dataflow. If you create the derived column and then delete the underlying columns noone using the dataflow would be able to undelete them, they would just have access to the data you presented to them.

Thanks, I'm not experienced using dataflows, but it functions just like query editor right? So the end users wouldn't be able to access the data but I and other people with edit access to the dataflows would still be able to restore the data right? The requirement I'm faced with is that the data has to be completely gone from our system and cannot be accessible to me or the system admins or anyone.

I don't think Power BI is the answer then, I think you'll need to come up with a solution at the source.

Thanks, I was afraid of that, but I wanted to check with people who knew more than me to make sure.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.