Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

matthewjudd
Regular Visitor

Percentage of People Cross Shopping Different Locations

Good morning everyone,

This should be a relatively simple solution, but I am still early in my Power BI journey.

I have a list of locations, and a list of people who visited each location. Some people may appear in one location multiple times, or both locations multiple times. Some people will only shop one of the locations, while others will shop both. See below table for an example of what the data looks like:

LocationPerson
WalmartJohn
Home DepotJohn
WalmartDave
Home DepotDave
Home DepotMary
WalmartSally
WalmartSally
WalmartPaul
TargetPaul
WalmartCaroline
Home DepotMary
WalmartSamantha
WalmartSamantha
Home DepotSally
TargetJim
TargetAlexandra
WalmartAlexandra

There are two percentages I would like to know:

Simple Cross Shop - After removing duplicate visits by the same person, what percentage of people cross-shop between different retailers?

The first step in this is to remove duplicate trips (Sally went to Walmart twice, Mary and Samantha went to Home Depot twice). Once duplicate visists are removed the list of entries is simplified and is shorter (see below).

LocationPerson
WalmartJohn
Home DepotJohn
WalmartDave
Home DepotDave
Home DepotMary
WalmartPaul
TargetPaul
WalmartCaroline
WalmartSamantha
WalmartSally
Home DepotSally
TargetJim
TargetAlexandra
WalmartAlexandra

Based on the above list I would need a Power BI calclation that would be able to identify that John, Dave and Sally all shopped bith Walmart and Home Depot. While Alexandra was the only one to shop both Target and Walmart (see below summary table).

Home DepotWalmartTarget
Home Depot--John, Dave, Sally(N/A)
Walmart----Alexandra
Target------
      The final output would be something along these lines:
    Count of people who shopped both Home Depot & Walmart /divided by/ total people that shopped Home Depot -or- Walmart
    Count of people who shopped both Home Depot & Target /divided by/ total people that shopped Home Depot -or- Target
    Count of people who shopped both Walmart & Target /divided by/ total people that shopped Home Depot -or- Target
 Home DepotWalmartTarget
Home Depot--3/11 (27.3%)0/7 (0.0%)
Walmart----1/10 (10%)
Target------

Let me know if you have any ideas on how best to tackle this data problem!

Thanks you very much!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
moizsherwani
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@matthewjudd quite a challenging one and there are a number of way to solve this including

1) self merging the table to see what combinations exist

2) create disconnected tables for the rows and columns of the matrix along with a list of person to then see what combinations exists (I have chosen this way)

I have attached the PowerBI file for this I hope this gets you on your way.

Btw in your example you stated Alexandra as being the only one who shopped at Walmart and Target even though the data shows Paul as being in the same cohort.

moizsherwani_0-1648125275511.png

Thanks,

Moiz
Was I able to answer your question? Mark my post as a solution to help others. Kudos if you liked the solution.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @matthewjudd ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

moizsherwani
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@matthewjudd quite a challenging one and there are a number of way to solve this including

1) self merging the table to see what combinations exist

2) create disconnected tables for the rows and columns of the matrix along with a list of person to then see what combinations exists (I have chosen this way)

I have attached the PowerBI file for this I hope this gets you on your way.

Btw in your example you stated Alexandra as being the only one who shopped at Walmart and Target even though the data shows Paul as being in the same cohort.

moizsherwani_0-1648125275511.png

Thanks,

Moiz
Was I able to answer your question? Mark my post as a solution to help others. Kudos if you liked the solution.
moizsherwani
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @matthewjudd, can you please give an example of what the expected output would be (with real calculations) for the sample data you have provided (this is in line with "best practices when asking questions guidelines on the PowerBI community forum 🙂")?

Thanks,

Moiz

Thanks for the recommendation Moiz! Much appreciated. I have revised my initail post providing more detials on what the planned output is, and I how to get there. Let me know if you need anything else clarified!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.