Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

bdmichael09
Helper II
Helper II

Percent of total in month

I've read some other posts similar to my question but the solutions there didn't seem to work for me, or at least I couldn't get them to work for me. I think what I'm trying to do should be fairly simple but I can't get the dax to work out like I need it to. 

Basically all I'm trying to do is create a measure that calculates the percent that a category of item consists of the whole for a particular month. So if I had 50 items, and item A was 10 of those items, I would want it show 20%. I think what is making this more difficult is my month value is not in the table with my other data. I have a date table that is separate. My gut tells me I just don't understand the use of ALL() or ALLEXCEPT() well enough but that one of those is the answer.

This is a column chart that I'm using to visualize my data. You can see that I've really only been able to get an output that is the same as the count of that item for the month. Through some other things I've tried, I can get it to output the count of the entire table. I've never been able to get it to limit the filters to go outside the context of looking at the "PALQuality" that is being counted to all "PALQuality" categories but limit the context to one month.

image.png

image.png

These are my the columns in my tables. I'm using MonthNameExt as the Month value in my visual. The relationship between my date table and my data table is using the DateID column. The relationship in my data table is using the 'Last (P)AL DateID' column

image.png

This is what I tried initially. I've tried I don't know how many variations. The 'specificpal' variable works as I need it to. I just need the total to give me the total in the particular month. So for the month of August, as displayed above, I would need the 'totalpals' variable to spit out the 43k number.

PAL Quality Count = count(PipelineQuality[(P)AL Quality])
PctOfPalQualityPipeline = 
var totalpals =  
    CALCULATE(count(PipelineQuality[(P)AL Quality]),ALL(PipelineQuality[(P)AL Quality]))
var specificpal = count(PipelineQuality[(P)AL Quality])
return specificpal/totalpals

Any help here is appreciated. Many thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

@bdmichael09 

Has this problem been solved? If so, kindly Accept the appropriate reply as the solution or post your own solution to help close this topic. Otherwise if you are still confused about it, please provide more details about the problem. Thanks.

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@bdmichael09 , Try like

PctOfPalQualityPipeline =
var totalpals =
CALCULATE(count(PipelineQuality[(P)AL Quality]),removefilters(PipelineQuality[(P)AL Quality]))
var specificpal = count(PipelineQuality[(P)AL Quality])
return divide(specificpal,totalpals)

Please find my file after signature, Check the percent of subtotal/ last page. Check tooltip

@amitchandak I actually tried that immediately after making this post and also no luck.
image.png

@bdmichael09 , actually I added my file(in the last update) to create a reference point.  Can you check and share back the same with your use case, 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.