Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PowerPanga

Passing slicer value as a parameter to API

Hi All, We are trying to call an API and get some data into Power BI. We will be using the "Web" option from Get Data and this API will accept one parameter, which is productID. The way this should work is users will select a ProductID from a slicer and then this "selected" value should be passed dynamically to the API end point(URL).

My question is how can I pass the selected value from the slicer to the URL.

I am thinking we can set a parameter in the Power Query and some how pass the selected value to the paramter and then the underlying API url uses this parameter value.

Something on these lines:

= Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://openlibrary.org/api/books?bibkeys=ISBN:" & parmSelectedISBN & "&format=json"))

But I really don't know how to pass the user selected slicer value to this parameter.

Any help or guidance on this use case is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Aman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Not possible.  Dynamic M Query parameters only work with Direct Query data sources.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Not possible.  Dynamic M Query parameters only work with Direct Query data sources.

Thank you for your response @lbendlin. Too bad we can't handle this type of use case in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.