Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Roberto456
Resolver I
Resolver I

Parent Drill Down Hierarchy BUG

Hello All.

I have noticed that there is still a bug when creating a hierarchy and then using "Drill Down" feature.

The bug is that sometimes a visualization will keep the parent name when you drill down, when it should not.

This usually happens when you start with 1 field in the X Axis and then change to a hierarchy field.

This is only fixed when you recreate the whole visual from scratch, because you are now starting out with the hierarchy inside of it.

This bug cant be forced to happen, it just happens periodically and wont revert back, so its hard to gauge when the bug occurs. All I know is that I have had this happen in all my reports.

Also, all my reports have bookmarks, so im not sure if that could cause the problem either.

Just thought I let everyone know how I "Fix" this certain problem.

EDIT: I just tried recreating a visual for one of my other reports, and it doesnt fix the parent problem.  So I'm not sure why one document would be different than the other.  

EDIT: ok now I re recreated the visual and now it works....

EDIT: So.... the first recreate didnt work because when I clicked on the broken visual and then clicked off and then I went to the visual pane and made a new visual of the same type, it seemed to keep the same height and length of the original broken visual.

When I did another visual of the same type again it did not keep the same structure and that ones Drills Downs worked.

3 REPLIES 3
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Roberto456 ,

Does this issue have been resolved?Could you please provide more details about it If it still not be resolved? Please don't contain any Confidential Information or Real data in your reply.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello

I still think this is happening yes and i am using March 2020 update, but this was happening back in 2019 as well.

No, the Hierarchal Field was keeping its parent name when drilling down, when its not supposed to.

I cant replicate the bug it just happens some times when working with long standing or complicated documents I think.

I only tried this with Microsoft's Bar or Column visuals.

I showed my ways to fix it in my first Post 🙂

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Roberto456 ,

Do you mean the Hierarchy name did not change after drill down? What is the kind of visual you are using? Have you tried to use the latest version of Power BI Desktop (March 2020) ? Does this issue also happen in Power BI Service (when only view a report instead edit mode)? Do you have some approximately steps which can help to reproduce this issue?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.